Thread: Awesome trip

Default Awesome trip

Since I asked so many questions before my trip, I thought it would only be fair to respond with how we did. Fished the Kenai Peninsula 7/25/07 to 8/1/07 and ended up with 330 lbs of fish fillets. The six fish sockeye limit really helped out the weight. I was amazed at how well the fish boxes kept the fish frozen. We had fish in the boxes over 33 hours and all were still frozen solid when we arrived home. This was my first trip so I don't have any guage on good vs. bad sockeye runs. All I can say is that we limited out most days in about 6 hours. Fished from the Russian River to Stewart's Landing. Best sockeye fishing was around Bing's Landing. King fishing was slow. Two of us fished three days with a guide on the Kenai and only caught one chromer 35 lb king. I never even saw any of the BIG fish. Made the drive to Hope and had a blast catching pinks (just for fun). I'm not even going to guess how many we caught. I can tell you that there are lots and lots of fish and you should have no problem catching them from dark to dark. I caught one small dolly at the Sterling Hwy bridge. One of my best days ever of guided fishing occured during our Seward combo trip. We caught our limit of silvers in about 30 mintues before heading toward Montongue Island (not sure about spelling). Our guide put us on a spot that was crazy. I was jig fishing and cauaght ling cod and halibut non stop the entire time. I even caught a yellow eye. Biggest halibut on the boat was 98 lbs. Biggest for me was 58 lbs. Great trip and can't wait to do it again. Thanks for all the information that we collected from this forum. It really was helpful.

Default Thanks

Glad you had a great time. Come back and see us again! From now until then, you WILL be dreaming of Alaska!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Pa king fisher
    Im jealous,
    We were there last year at that same time I lost a large king one guy kept a 40lber we had 4 days on the Kenai fished for reds mostly ---too much fun caught PILES AND PILES with very large rainbows --Seward one day for silvers I lost several limits worth but we all limited--Ninilchik Halibut seemed small this year but we brought enough back.

One fly in for silvers all limited and gave those to our guide.
    2ND trip for me it was a first for the other 2 guys.I am planning on going that same time next year.
    BTW I am in N.W Pa what part you from.
    Going walleye fishing Friday and killing time till Steelhead start to run.

BTW For the fisherman not from this area we have steelhead fishing thats as good or better then AK (just more people trying to fish). and Lake Erie Walleye fishing is second to none.
    Before I start an arguement AIMHO

PA has better Steelhead than the Situk? Some would challenge that, even some from PA.

In terms of share numbers and consistent success, u're right, nothing beats the Lake Erie tribs...the numbers of fish that u catch are unreal....but the average size is pretty small...although now they have switched over on many of the tribs to little manistee strain steelhead and now they are getting some bigger fish.

However, for big fish and decent numbers Michigan has AK and PA beat......the Big and Little Manistee + big Manistee + big average sized fish.

Big numbers and decent sized Muskegon River winter steelheading, at least a dozen hook ups a float on floats!!

However, AK has them all beat on the scenery and ruggedness of many of the streams + their wild and often more pretty...the only thing that can compete are the little manistee fish are also all from natural reproduction.

Are they considered steel head If they are coming out of lakes? I thought steel head came out of the ocean.

steelhead is a sea-going fish and the rainbow trout inhabits fresh water

In my mind if it does not enter Saltwater it is not a Steelhead, but I'm not a Steelhead fisherman but I happen to know some real die-hards and have seen some 42" photos.

One of my biggest pet peeves: judging a fishing trip by how many lbs of fillets you bring home.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I'm not judging the fish by lbs of fillets, I just wanted to point out that the difference as I believe is Steelhead are sea-going (salt water) fish.

Heck I like to catch Blue Gill and Perch.

Quote Originally Posted by PA KING FISHER View Post
    Since I asked so many questions before my trip, I thought it would only be fair to respond with how we did. Fished the Kenai Peninsula 7/25/07 to 8/1/07 and ended up with 330 lbs of fish fillets. The six fish sockeye limit really helped out the weight. I was amazed at how well the fish boxes kept the fish frozen. We had fish in the boxes over 33 hours and all were still frozen solid when we arrived home. This was my first trip so I don't have any guage on good vs. bad sockeye runs. All I can say is that we limited out most days in about 6 hours. Fished from the Russian River to Stewart's Landing. Best sockeye fishing was around Bing's Landing. King fishing was slow. Two of us fished three days with a guide on the Kenai and only caught one chromer 35 lb king. I never even saw any of the BIG fish. Made the drive to Hope and had a blast catching pinks (just for fun). I'm not even going to guess how many we caught. I can tell you that there are lots and lots of fish and you should have no problem catching them from dark to dark. I caught one small dolly at the Sterling Hwy bridge. One of my best days ever of guided fishing occured during our Seward combo trip. We caught our limit of silvers in about 30 mintues before heading toward Montongue Island (not sure about spelling). Our guide put us on a spot that was crazy. I was jig fishing and cauaght ling cod and halibut non stop the entire time. I even caught a yellow eye. Biggest halibut on the boat was 98 lbs. Biggest for me was 58 lbs. Great trip and can't wait to do it again. Thanks for all the information that we collected from this forum. It really was helpful.
    Great trip it sounded like. I agree best fishing was in seward.. which guide did u go out with? I was disappointed in my guide that went out of homer.

Better?? I do not think so! Most of the steelhead I have caught in Ak have been witnessed by no one other than myself! I the erie tribs I have been shoulder to shoulder, had to fight for a spot to fish, had my truck broken into and all my gear stolen and have been skunked on occasion. Comparing PA steelhead to AK steelies is like apples to watermellons. since living here in AK I will most likely never fish the erie tribs again and that is not because I don't live in pa because I own property there and will most likely retire there.
    Now the brook trout in the mountains, thats a whole nother story. I miss my brookies. The dollies are a great sub but they don't hit a dry the same.
    Dave

AK --I agree with you on the crowds but winter time the creeks are basically empty of fishermen --sorry bout your loses I would personally like to grease those #%%^%&7!!!!!!
    And Alaska wins hand down I just have a problem coming up with 5-6 Gs
    to do it (but next year)maayybbbeee.

ahh the brookies --pretty little fish lots of fun
    Also you may be a little bias (sp) since you live in AK or perhaps I am jealous!!!
    now damit--- go catch a salmon for me!!!!!!

Default Wow

Not sure how my post turned into a steelhead discussion, but I would like to comment on a few of the replies. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone else tries to judge what I choose to do on my fishing trip. First of all I spent the money for this trip to catch fish. I fished many days from 4 am to 11 pm. I realize that this type of fishing does not appeal to everyone but it made me happy. I did not measure the trip enjoyment by weight of fish returning home. I even quit fishing the last two days just to buy some souvenirs and see some of the other parts of Soldotna and Homer. I did not even mention that I fished with a brown bear on the Russian, saw three different pairs of moose, hooked a very large king salmon in Quartz Creek while I was fishing for dolly varden, saw numerous eagles, seals, and sea lions. Feed two albatross cut bait while halibut fishing. I saw what might be some of the most beautiful county in the entire world and took over 1000 pictures of landscapes, glaciers, wildlife, and fish. I only posted fishing information because I thought this site was a fishing forum, not a vacation forum.

As for steelhead fishing, I do my fair share of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario fishing. Winter and early Spring in Steelhead Ally can be an absolute blast. I think you would be hard pressed to catch both the numbers and size of steelhead anywhere else in the country. I canít compare it to Alaska because Iíve never fished steelhead in Alaska (maybe someday). Bring on Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb. Iíll be waiting.

PA King Fisher, right-on with your posts. Congrats on EVERY fish you caught; you're right, this is a FISHING forum. I know exactly how many hours you put in to fish, especially reds, because we do the same thing, every year! There's always bound to be a naysayer in the crowd, unfortunately. We fish mainly for reds, although we were fortunate enough to catch a couple of kings. Reds feed us many times thru the year, so we fish them pretty hard & pretty long. Best thing we did this year: got flyrods to catch reds! What a kick, plus you end up with a higher percentage of legally caught fish.
    Great job and keep spending money in Alaska!
    Jim

Blame cmccull166 for turning your thread into a steelhead topic.
    I am glad you had a great time and don't see anything wrong with what you posted. My reply was the other poster. Even if you caught pinks I could see were you would have a great time. My first AK fish were pinks and I loved it. Unfortunately I too have become a salmon snob and hardly spend any time fishing for them. I can remember being excited about hearing about them running up 20 mile creek and wanting to go up and fish for them.
    Were at in PA are you from. I own property in northern Armstrong CO.
    Dave