Thread: Eggs. Does it matter where they came from?

Default Eggs. Does it matter where they came from?

One angler claimed that he could outfish anyone 2 to 1 with eggs taken from a salmon from the same river he was fishing. Is there any truth to this? Can a person go to carrs/fredmeyers/sportsman's warehouse, buy the eggs in those vacuum packs (or the foam containers in their fridge) and expect to have just as good a chance?

Last year at the eklutna tailrace, I remember a lady fishing about 12 feet upriver of us, same type of water, flow, depth, etc. and she was hooking a salmon every ten minutes or so. She showed up, did her thing, limited and left. My mother, brother and I were there for a few hours, using eggs, using a similar setup (slipsinker/eggs/no bobber) and didn't hook a thing. What gives?

I don't know if it matters whether the eggs are from the same river or not but I know the eggs I cure work much better then the ones I have bought. I usually cure my own with one of the egg curents that you can buy in just about any store. I have done some experimenting with eggs and found that color can make a big difference. I don't know if it will at the trailraces but it does in clear water. Texture can also make a big difference. if you let your eggs get too hard then they wont work as well. I don't know why but at times fish seem to be very picky.
    Good luck

Do u usually have the most success just curing them with the red stuff for silvers? I know that for steelhead here in Michigan I usually use the red but chartreuse sometimes works better.

I imagine that freshness and odor is more important than that particular stream, but I'm not sure.....her in Michigan I also seem to do best with my own over the store stuff, but I just always assumed it was because it was fresh.

Default Interesting

theory. Fresh eggs that I cure myself seem to work better. It would be interesting if there were ant truth to your theory.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

So far the purple stuff seams to work best but I use a slightly altered method for curing. I am also continuing the research there are still a few possibilities that need looking into.

I don't know if freshness has any thing to do with it. I usually freeze eggs for the next year and that doesn't seem to adversly affect things, though I admit I am using them during the spring so it may not be a valid comparison.

I believe silver eggs will catch silvers better than eggs from other species. I use pro cure. Color preference can vary from time to time. Silvers are funny they can be really aggressive or very quiet. Thats why its called fishin' :-).

Hmm I have not noticed this. I usually find that I get the best results with chum or king eggs, but I keep all the eggs I get.

Default Egg fishing

I don't think it matters which river the eggs came from or the species of salmon. Freshness, quality, and the cure preparation of the eggs are the biggest factors. Also adding other types of commercial scents to the egg cure may increase effectiveness.

There is a good book on "Egg Cures" written by Scott Haugen that I would recommend to bait fisherman. Many cures of top guides are listed in the book.

Those are the largest factors but I think the size of the eggs can matter as well. Hence the species. Kings and chums give larger eggs then silvers or reds unless you get late silvers and reds after the eggs have matured a bit.

Default Match the hatch????

I've been watching this thread and will offer my .02. I'ts all about cure baby!!! Egg size (i.e. red/silver vs. king/pink) doesn't matter... For example, when has a salmon ever seen eggs in the form of roe? Never! The only eggs that a salmon will see (other than on the hook) is individual and uncured at that. The bottom line is that the fish is not eating... They are possibly ingesting, but not digesting. This may be a strike instinct based on scent or color, but roe is very foreign to a fish.

I have caught silvers on store bought eggs but definitely have better success with eggs that I cure. I use king eggs, because that is what I have the most of, but red, pink and silver eggs will work just fine as well.

Much of the action is also based on presentation. Do you use a corkie, or spin-n-glow for floatation/attraction or not? What is the size of the bait chunk? How long is the leader? What color/scent of cure? What depth of water? How much lead? What time of day? What is the weather? How are your hooks tied (single or double)? Location. The answer to all of these questions will have an effect on presentation.

You mentioned the example of the person with tremendous success right above you. The same thing happens while fishing out of a boat... you may be in a great spot, someone will anchor above you or below you and just slay the fish while you are lucky to get an accasional wiggle on the rod... location, location, location. When the person limits out and moves, jump into that spot and see what changes.

There are so many variables.. that is why it is so much fun!

Bottom line, have good eggs (I don't believe species matters; avoid the vacuum sealed bags that aren't refridgerated), and zero in on the presentation and location and you will find success.

Good luck.

The apperence of the roe matters hence the difference in the color. So why is it so difficult to think that the egg size might matter too. Yes you can definatly catch fish with smaller eggs, (I have even used trout eggs) but I think the size of the eggs can make a difference.