Thread: contractor or compactor

Default contractor or compactor

I have seen both types of plastic bags listed as items folks use while backpacking. What is the difference? Length? Diameter? Mil thickness? Will either one completely cover a backpack? Is either long enough to use as an emergency bivy? In FBKS any idea where is the best place to pick up some? Are there any other good ideas for heavyweight plastic bags to use?
    I have seen a lot written about game bags. I am planning on pillow cases as they are light, and if taken care of should be good to go. Any other lightweight bags you guys use that make sense for a backcountry expedition?
    Just a few more days and we are off on our grand Brooks Range adventure, bowhunting for sheep. Thank folks.

Default Advice on bags

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I have seen both types of plastic bags listed as items folks use while backpacking. What is the difference? Length? Diameter? Mil thickness? Will either one completely cover a backpack? Is either long enough to use as an emergency bivy? In FBKS any idea where is the best place to pick up some? Are there any other good ideas for heavyweight plastic bags to use?
    I have seen a lot written about game bags. I am planning on pillow cases as they are light, and if taken care of should be good to go. Any other lightweight bags you guys use that make sense for a backcountry expedition?
    Just a few more days and we are off on our grand Brooks Range adventure, bowhunting for sheep. Thank folks.
    The short answer on the plastic bags is "both". I use the compactor bags for pack liners when I'm packing meat. You can find them at most grocery stores. They are white, come on a roll, and are about 3-5 mils thick. I use the contractor bags for immersing meat in the river to quick-cool it right off the kill. They are about 4' tall, making them the tallest trash bags you'll find. They are black, come on a roll and are 5 mils thick if I remember correctly. The only place I've found them is at Home Depot.

If you have your mind made up to use pillow cases for game bags, nobody is going to talk you out of it. But I will offer the insight that if you are successful in taking game, this hunt will probably be the last time you use pillow cases for game bags. They don't breathe worth a darn, and they rip if you look at them sideways. They're great if you have a pillow to stuff inside them, but that's about it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

pillow cases work great,but just like mike said they are not as durable,now for the breatheable part i'd have to disagree,i've been using them for as long as i can remember,and i've never had a problem with meat not getting enough air movement. my 2 cents good luck

Default good input

I have a box full of game bags of different types. Cheapo premade "deer" bags, burlap, elk weight bags, rolls of polishing cloth (cut off what is needed and tie a knot in both ends) and so forth. For moose quarters I sew queen size sheets because they will fit over anything I can possibly hang.
    Michael is right, sheets are easy to tear, but I find if I am just a bit careful they do ok. Certainly they are not as durable as the better made hvy cotton bags. But sheep hunting I thought the pillow cases would be lighter, and as they are a fairly tight weave they would keep out general debris. (of course not sand) Interesting feedback, maybe I'll go back and look in the box again.
    Sheep Man, how many pillow case size bags does it take to handle a boned out sheep?
    Michael, good description on use of the two types of bags. Must be the contractor size I hear a few guys using for emergency bivys. Both bags seem to make a lot of sense.
    2 more days and we are heading uphill. Thanks again.

Thumbs up Contractor Bags-AIH

You can get em' at Alaska Industrial Hardware too. These guys have a lot of hunting related gear that I often forget to use myself. Rope, bags, gloves, chain links, flagging, head lamps, clothing, sharpeners, etc. and often cheaper than the sporting good stores.

Plus they're in Kenai, Fbks., Wasilla and Anch., to name a few.

Default contractor bags

FYI in Fbks I just picked up a box of 20 contractor bags, 3 mil, for $9.00 downstairs at Sentry Hdwre. Best price I found. Got some compactor bags too, but could not find any heavier than 2.5 mil.

Default in construction

I have used one like mike is talking about, 5 or 6 mil. I think 6 mil. but the ones I have used were clear. In the fishing forum people said black trash bags have chemicals that can't taint fish. Not sure where they came from, SBS or AIH comes to mind.