Thread: Rust's Flying Service

Default Rust's Flying Service

I recently won an auction for a one day un-guided fly out trip with Rust's Service out of Anchorage. I was wondering if anyone has gone with them and what they thought. Also any suggestions on places to go would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to target salmon but a remote setting with few people is what I am really looking for with this opportunity.

Thanks,

Armo

Go to Alexander Lake and fish for pike, that is by far the best fishing trip they offer without renting out the plane. Lake Creek probably had 3 or 4 times as many people than the russian today. Talk to Willis, he's the cool manager.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default hey

I sent you a pm

Default Lake Creek late August

My friend won the same a few years ago from RUSTS, and "unfortunately" chose me to come along (flight for two). We went to Lake creek August 22nd, and had a great time fishing for rainbows. We arrived early AM and had the river to ourselves, sans the jet boats that passed upriver about every hour or so. That year, the silvers were just coming in , and we caught our limit, plus trout.

We saw bear tracks everywhere, and did not see another person until about 11AM. This was a weekday-perhaps weekends are crowded. I have heard that the King season there is nuts.

You may also want to think about Polly Creek or Silver Salmon Creek. They are both further down Cook Inlet near Tuxedni Bay but can both be good for silvers in August. They would need to have a plane with tundra tires to land on the beach at less than high tide. Polly Creek can also be a good place to get clams at low tide. There are probably fewer people at Polly Ck. and a few chums too. The dollies can also be thick in there this time of year. Watch out for bears in the tall grass.

Rust's is top notch! Enjoy your trip and share with us some pics and a story!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Rust's is okay. I went with them 2x out to Alexander lake before; they gave me confilicting prices in the past (maybe too many folks monitoring their email). Boats beat up, junky, 50-50 chance of getting a beater motor out their. Last year, where they drop you off to pick up the boats at Alexander, previous clients had left plastic bags with sandwiches on the shoreline; black bears showed up about 1/2 hour after we had launched the boats and stayed in the area most of the day (we didn't notice the rubbish until we dropped off the boats for our pickup). You would think they (Rust's) would monitor those kind of things and keep the area somewhat tidy where they store the boats; very junky/stinky. Went with another outfit this year; MUCH more professional, better boats, better overall situation.
    Jim

Thumbs up Check out Little River Anglers

We flew out of Regal Air so I can not help you with the flying part but you should check out Little River Anglers.It is a 30 min. flight out to their place from Anchorage and they are next to Lake Creek. Walter is the owner and is great to fish with. I was out their for Salmon also, and booked two trips with him this next year. His # is 907-733-3113. You will have a great trip. Good luck. Jason

I know that Rust's flying service seems to have been around for a long time and I have only heard good things about them.