Thread: Dalton Hwy caribou

Default Dalton Hwy caribou

I'm floating around on a Naval warship in SE Asia (not exactly where I want to be 3 days from opening season) perusing the forum and I'm suprised to see not much talk on the Dalton Hwy hunting. I know this time last year the caribou were all over Toolik Lk area and it seemed everyone was harvesting with their bows. I'm curious if there is any/much success up there yet this year. I'll be back in time to brush up on my skills and hopefully put some red meat in the freezer later this fall. Any updates on the forum would be appreciated for my reading pleasure. Good luck to everyone.

Default just my thoughts

The bou are by the ocean where it is cooler, my buddy just got back after a week of hunting and didn't see anything, we are headed up the 7th of Sept, hopefully they will have changed their minds by then

Default Dalton Hwy Caribou

I am driving to Happy Valley next week and flying out, will be sure to get you an update at that time. Sounds like the weather is going to get a lot cooler next week that should push them down off the ocean some...

Default Dalton Bou

I got my first bou last Sat about 20 miles south of Deadhorse. There were mainly one and two's, no big herds yet. Seemed they were hangin North yet, I didn't see one animal South of mile 40.....

Default Haul Rd 'bou

Thanks for the updates. Things sound a little sparce up there right now. My buddy e-mailed me and said his friend arrowed a huge bull right near Prudoe bay. I'll be home end of Sept, and look forward to the hunt then. Good luck to you guys; post those pictures for my viewing pleasure!

Default Aug 4-11 2007

Camped at mile-marker 381 (Franklin Bluffs).
    From the fourth until the tenth we saw a grand total of 10 bou. Personally, I think we saw one twice... so that really is nine critters.
    In the week at camp saw an average of one bull taken per day.

Probably about 20 folks hunting.

My huntin pard and I put a stalk on a group of four small critters (one confirmed bull)... but our ambush point proved to be out of range.

Talked with folks with AIR access --
    Harold (pilot) saw about 400 head about 60 miles west of Franklin Bluffs.
    New air taxi service in Happy Valley saw a LARGE number on the ice fields about 40 miles west of Happy Valley.
    Folks working the slope say there are still critters scattered along the water's edge.

It seems that the WARM weather and RELENTLESS HORDES of bugs are keeping the bou away from the road.

Good luck to all who go up!
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-14-2007 at 11:58.

stogey thanx for the report,
    plenty bou around kuparuk today and hot 71+ and buggy .
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Lots of tundra, no caribou

Spent Tues-Fri this week looking for caribou from Toolik Lake to 15 miles below Pump Sta 2. We saw exactly "0" animals.
    (Unless you count squrrels and musk oxen)
    Reports from Franklin Bluffs were the same-
    I'd been to the Haul Road when there were just a few carbou there, but this was a record-

It may be good later, but for now- save your fuel!!

Default Wait

I concur - save your fuel. It's just TOO bleak.
    Too bad the caribou don't know that we all have jobs and have to plan our vacations!!! UGHH!
    If you can wait, do yourself a favor and hang tough.
    Otherwise... you might consider:
    1 - Going somewhere else
    2 - Bring along some cash and find an air taxi
    3 - Bring your fishing pole and camera - you won't need your bow.

Default Bou

I realize this report is a bit late but I was hunting the haul road the 23 through the 27th of July. We were about 8 or 9 miles south of the no hunting sign just shy of dead horse. We saw about 500 animals total in those 4 days of hunting, we both had chances at mature bulls. From what I understand we were just catching the tip of the herd. We talked to a guy up there that was a pilot and he said that the herd was passing east to west. Everything we saw proved him right. We didnt start seeing caribou untill we were about 20 miles outside of dead horse. We drove south a few times trying to find them while we were there but that was just wasted gas, all the animals were north. I know this is late but maybe it can help someone get on some animals who are about to go up there. Good Luck!!

Default One Week

Sounds about right - I was up about a week after that... and nuthin.

Good luck to all!

Default Apology Accepted

I must say I was more than a little suprised to recieve an e-mail from someone I berated on the road - as well as slung a bit of mud in the forum.

I won't name names, and I would have edited my original post, to remove the negative remark, but that feature seems to elude me.

Anyway -- Apology accepted.

I wish you all luck in your future hunting!

Default Haul road as of today

Just got back. We hunted sheep from the 11th through the 15th. Almost got blown off the mountain, rained every direction but up, and maybe did up too, and lived in the clouds for almost 36 hours, but we had a ball. Did see some sheep, got to make a couple stalks, and when it was clear, was just beautiful.
    We headed up further north and turned around at Franklin Bluffs yesterday. Had 4 bulls try like heck to get in the truck but I told them there just wasn't room for all of them. Saw 2 separate groups of 2 cows each with calves near the road. That was all 330 to 350 mile (between pump 3 and 2). The only other caribou we saw was east of the Sag.
    The boat launch sites to get to the Ivashak and the Sag itself are very low. We had the same report from AST on the 10th. Still the same, even though it has been raining. A few caribou came from east of the corridor on the Ivashak but very slim pickings.
    All the caribou we saw seemed to be crossing the Sag from the east. Don't know if that makes sense or not.
    We also saw 3 separate wolves, 2 blacks and a mouse colored. That was cool and one musk ox around 330 mile. A first for us!
    Remember that the yukon bridge will have closures for 2 days around the 20th, 21st, for most of the day. Check with DOT to be sure I have that right. Hate for somebody to get caught and have to hold for 8 hours. Currently the bridge is down to one lane so expect some delay there, and there is road construction on the new pavement south of the bridge so another delay possiblity there. Otherwise besides being sloppy the road seemed pretty solid and I get to happily report no flat tires for us!