Thread: Hunting around Farewell....

Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Question Hunting around Farewell....

So.... I have the opportunity to go to the Farewell area on a combo hunt. We are flying our wheelers in and heading out from the airstrip. Have any of you actually done this before and if so, do you have any advice? We don't have any Bison tags that I know of so the hunt will be primarily for moose/caribou and possibly sheep.

Any info/tips will be greatly appreciated since I have no idea what type of terrain to expect.

Thanks in advance!

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Farewell area

I know some guys here in Anchorage that used to have a moose camp over there every year. In the last five or six years though the numbers for both moose and caribou have really fallen off. You might get lucky, but it's pretty sparse over that way. If you do go, the general strategy is to run your wheeler up St. John's hill, south of the strip, and glass from there. If you spot a moose, you make your stalk from there. A fire occured in that area many years ago, and the willow has overgrown the area well over head high. You won't be able to see a lot through the willows once you're out on the flats north of the airstrip.

If you make it out that way and you see Dewey, say hello for me. He's got a homestead west of the Farewell strip and he should be around, last I heard. I haven't been there in four or five years at least.

Good luck!

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Soldonta, Alaska

Default Farewell

I know a group that goes there every year and they always do well. Having the 4-wheelers is the key. Get up in the dark and get to the ridges to glass from. They have taken sheep too. I would be really suprised if you were not sucessfull. Not many caribou over there anymore. This group of hunters is very serious and they hunt daylight to dark. Have a good hunt. BC

eagle river

send me an e-mail with contact info at same hadle yahoo I can tell you more about this area.