Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Post office shipping

Question U.S. Post office shipping

We are getting ready to ship some gear to Alaska for our caribou hunt. Thinking about using USPS since they are about half of what UPS would charge. Anyone have any experience using this service.

I mailed my stuff today. I mailed 35 lbs and 8 ozs, it cost 36. for parcel post and 53. for priority mail. Parcel should take 10 days and priority is 4 days.

Default what address

What are you guys using for a shipping address? Are you sending to your outfitting service or can you just send to the post office and pick it up there yourself?

I Priority Mailed my gear on Thursday afternoon from a small town in Oklahoma and it was in Port Alsworth AK.
    the following Monday afternoon, 4 packages insured with delivery conformation cost me $151.
    My hunting buddy used UPS shipped 5 packages that cost him over $600 and took 7 days to get there.
    I sent my gear to the outfitters address with my name on the label.

Default First class COULD take up to 3 weeks

I've had it happen
    I'd pay the extra for Priority for sure
    that WILL get here in 3-5 days
    Good luck

I send gear and a tent every year from Indiana to Nak Nek. Skip UPS, they are outrageously expensive. USPS has always gotten my stuff to my destination for a fraction of the cost. Remember, USPS weight limit is 70 pounds. A 70 pound package costs me right at $100 to get it there in 5 days.

Send your package to the outfitter if he can pick it up. Otherwise, send it to: Your Name/General Delivery, the town's name where there is a post office and the zip code. The post office in Nak Nek holds some packages sent to them this way for several months with no questions asked.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

I have things (20-35 lb boxes) shipped up here from Florida and Michigan. Priority mail is half, or less, than UPS or FedEx and has always been here in 5-6 days. Got 3 orders from Cabela's in the last few weeks (all sent Priority) and 2 of them were here in 4 days!! The other 6. Can't beat Priority Mail.

Angry UPS

Whatever you do, don't use UPS to mail fish, meat or gear. I made the mistake of sending less than 10 pounds of fish through them and it cost me nearly $80.00!!!! Had I been there and not my wife, I would have walked out of there and sent it through the USPS. I sent nearly 20 pounds through Alaska Airlines Gold Streak a couple of years ago for less to Las Vegas from Anchorage. USPS is just fine for shipping.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default USPS Priority is great!

I have sent things USPS priority many times between Alaska and Texas with never any problems. About 3 days average. But beware do not send it first class! I sent a 40# package back to Texas first class because time was not a concern. I left Alaska 5 weeks later and the package arrived 2 days after I got back!

Default Post Office

Don, When you say to just mark the box with my name/general delivery, what about if I ship to Anchorage? Do you know if they'll send it to a specific post office if I specify one on the label? Or do you think I should skip Anchorage altogether and pick a nearby town that only has one post office? I guess the latter would be my best bet... It would be hard for them to screw that up. I'd hate to be driving all over Anchorage trying to find the post office that had my box.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorswithdon View Post
    I send gear and a tent every year from Indiana to Nak Nek. Skip UPS, they are outrageously expensive. USPS has always gotten my stuff to my destination for a fraction of the cost. Remember, USPS weight limit is 70 pounds. A 70 pound package costs me right at $100 to get it there in 5 days.

Send your package to the outfitter if he can pick it up. Otherwise, send it to: Your Name/General Delivery, the town's name where there is a post office and the zip code. The post office in Nak Nek holds some packages sent to them this way for several months with no questions asked.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

Default check size of package

check the size of your package U.S.P.S size is up to 108 inches total LxWxH anything over that will only be shipped parcel post,i found out the hard way was going to ship my stuff up to alaska last week but the box was to big and would cost me around $150.00.so im just going to take it with me on the plane and it will only cost $50.00 because of my bag being oversized.

Default worked well for me

Last August, I shipped most of my gear, including rifle from Ohio to Dillingham by priority mail for a Sept. moose hunt. It was there in three days. I mailed them to myself C/O the outfitter at his P.O. box for him to pick up. It cost me about $160. I flew with just one, light checked bag that contained pack frame, ammo and hunting boots that I kept at home to contiue useing for conditioning. Don't mail ammo, it's not legal although I think some people do.

Smile stay small

I've had better luck in dealing with small Post Offices. It is a much more personal system. I actually called the small post office that I dealt with and told them my situation and they were greatful I did so they didn't have to guess what to do with it. They put it on a shelf and called it good until I got there to pick it up.

just my part of the paycheck

-Buck

Upland,

I have never tried to send to Anchorage, so I can't say for sure. I can see how a package could get lost there, however. I would call the post office there and ask if there is a way to have a package sent to one specific branch. Or send it to a smaller office outside of town, as you mentioned. In my case, I call the office in Nak Nek and tell them it is on its way. I then call a week later to check on it and tell them when I will be in to pick it up.

Don

General delivery for Anchorage is done at
    Downtown Station
    344 W. 3rd Ave.
    Anchorage, AK 99510

You guys are talking about parcel post taking 5 weeks not first class. First Class is the same as priority when it comes to delivery time.

Default Delivery Time

Harms
    You are very wrong about the delivery times being the same! I tried this myself just to see. I sent one package priority and one first class from the downtown office back to Texas. Priority took 4 days, First Class over 5 weeks. They are mosy likely the same to ship inside of Alaska, but not to the outside. I was doing this for the most part to give my sister a hard time about First Class mail. She has been with USPS customer service for 25 years. ( To give the lady at the downtown office credit, she warned me first class would take 3-5 weeks)

Default First Class Max Weight = 13 Ounces

TxGuide,

I have to agree with the other guy. I do a lot of First Class mailings. Whether it's a small envelope, large envelope, or small box, no piece of mail can go First Class unless it weighs 13 ounces or less. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the limit has never been 40 pounds (in an earlier post you claimed you shipped a 40lb box back to TX via First Class mail). The counter person may have said First Class or you may have for some reason assumed it was First Class, but in reality it was sent parcel post.

One of the news shows did a study a couple of years ago on the cheapest ways to ship Christmas presents... They sent the exact same thing from many cities to several destination cities. Arrival times averaged out almost exactly the same whether the item was sent Priority or First Class. Priority is nothing but a ripoff/gimmick if you're shipping something weighing 13oz or less.... ship it First Class and save your money. Of course when something gets lost either temporarily or permanently, it doesn't matter whether you sent it Prioritiy, First Class, or parcel post. Tom

Default Fort Richardson

Don and everyone else, Thanks very much for the advice. I appreciate it a lot.

I've decided to ship my fishing stuff to the Fort Richardson post office... Unless anyone knows of a city closer to Anchorage that also only has one post office? Fort Richardson is the closest according to superpages.com.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorswithdon View Post
    Upland,

I have never tried to send to Anchorage, so I can't say for sure. I can see how a package could get lost there, however. I would call the post office there and ask if there is a way to have a package sent to one specific branch. Or send it to a smaller office outside of town, as you mentioned. In my case, I call the office in Nak Nek and tell them it is on its way. I then call a week later to check on it and tell them when I will be in to pick it up.

Don

Default UplandHunstman

Yes I used the wrong word, It was parcel post. The box is stamped standard mail.The fact is ,if you are shipping hunting gear Priority is a great deal and should always be used for gear, etc. How many times does people ship hunting gear or Christmas gifts than weigh less than 13ozs? That study was a waste of time!

Default Presents

Let's see, hunting gear and other sought after Christmas gifts that weigh 13oz or less (item + box or large envelope + styrofoam): GPS units, most hunting knives, shotgun chokes, shooting glasses, small rifle scopes, spotting scopes, Gore-Tex gloves, game calls, small digital cameras, cell phones, just about every piece of jewelry that exists, Game Boys, ipods, memory cards, several small toys, just about every fly reel that exists, numerous trout-size spinning reels, numerous bass-size baitcasters, 10 or 12 Yo-zuri lures shipped together, 100-plus flies shipped together... need more?

No one is disagreeing with you when you say Priority is the only way to go when you need something 13oz or more shipped USPS from the lower 48 to Alaska and have to have it there in two weeks or less. And I think everyone also agrees that USPS is definitely the best choice (gets it there quickly and costs a fraction of what UPS and Fed Ex charge).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Yes I used the wrong word, It was parcel post. The box is stamped standard mail.The fact is ,if you are shipping hunting gear Priority is a great deal and should always be used for gear, etc. How many times does people ship hunting gear or Christmas gifts than weigh less than 13ozs? That study was a waste of time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast