Thread: Moose weight

Default Moose weight

Just doing some careful planning for a Jet Boat Moose hunt. How much would you say all the meat BONED OUT from an average 1200-1400lbs moose is going to weigh? I need to figure this out for transporting it. I was thinking 400 to 450lbs?

Default weight

Well I guess that depends on the size of the mooose. I can tell you that the bull I shot in 05 weighed in at 805lbs at the butcher, that was bone in weight though. I think I would plan for 700-800 lbs to be safe & of course that doeas not include antlers or cape. hopefully you find out.

Thumbs up Moose meat weight...

I've never boned out a moose in the field nor have I needed/wanted too. At the butchers, after the meat was cleaned off the bones, those bones didn't weigh as much as I would have thought. With that said, I'd say that the bones (IMO) only weigh around 100#. That's the bones for the 4 quarters, ribs and spine. I've seen meat with bone-in on the butchers scales weighing in at 550# on up to 900#. I'd plan for 600#-800# range, boned out, for a nice bull and go for it. With meat, antlers, cape, camp, water, fuel and whatever else you've got; that's a h***uva load ya got there. Good luck.

Default Yes

Yes your meat still on the bone should be right in the 800lbs range. What im trying to find out is the difference in weight once the bones are removed.

In the regs it says a 1650lbs moose goes to 990lbs with bones, and meat - then 564lbs after being boned out. Am I reading that right? Thats an absolute max though. With no blood shot damaged meat or anything on a monstor sized moose.

Im thinking a moose weighing less than 1400lbs - What is my BONED OUT weight going to be. Dont ask me to relate it to the book, and do the math for I really suck at math. Im looking for some experienced answers. Anyone ever need to do the same calculations on any of your moose hunts?

18 Month Old Moose Will Give You About 325# Meat
    Shot A 40 " Spread Moose Hind Qrts Were 90# And Front#75,
    Buddy Shot 52" Bull Same Year Rear Quarters Were 120#
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Thanx

Thanx AK Nimrod

I had a feeling your average moose only gave you about 400lbs of meat. Your numbers make perfect sense as to what I was thinking. Thanx again.

Default ouch

Man, that's a lot of meat. I have a Yanert Fork CUA permit this year. No motorized access to transport hunters or meat. I get to pack all that on my back. Guess I'll be shredded after I'm done with that!

Default Boned-out moose meat weight

Lungshot,

I shot a 56" bull last year out of Tok, we boned him out in the field....when i took the meat to 10th & M Seafood in Anchorage, the tally was about 480 pounds of meat, no bones. That was minus a few pounds of backstrap that were fired in camp during the rest of the hunt!

Just enjoyed my last backstrap the other night...

Michael

Default I'll second that

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Lungshot,

I shot a 56" bull last year out of Tok, we boned him out in the field....when i took the meat to 10th & M Seafood in Anchorage, the tally was about 480 pounds of meat, no bones. That was minus a few pounds of backstrap that were fired in camp during the rest of the hunt!

Just enjoyed my last backstrap the other night...

Michael

In 2004 - we took a 58" bull that I thought was a bit on the small side (body wise), when it was all said and done we had 460# of boned out meat, add a little for the meals in the field.