Thread: PWS first time?

Question PWS first time?

Great forum. Thanks all! After 10 years of fishing Seward/Homer, considering an inagural launch out of Whittier this week (with Seward as a comfortabel backup). I am range limited to +/- 50 Km round trip. What are the best ooh/ahh and/or fish opportunities within that range? Besides the low tide issues associated in launching out of Whittier, any other need to know info? I did (at y'alls reccomendation) pick up the PWS Cruising guide just today.

Thanks....

DC

Ooh and ahh places begin just outside the harbor and continue as far as you care to go. Fish at Pigot Point now if you want silvers. If you see sunshine in Whittier this week, and the forecast looks promising, take a picture

Anyone willing to compare/contrast your Seward vs. PWS experience?

DC

50 kilometer round trip or nautical miles? 50 kilometers will pretty much limit you to running out to pigot bay and back. Blackstone bay would be a good trip, and is amazing on a clear day. I haven't fished there nor heard of folks fishing there.

For 50 nautical miles out and back, you could run down cullross passage, fish around applegate island, then motor up the east side of culross island back into whittier. That would be pushing your range, and I don't have a chart handy to confirm if it is too far. Then again a 6 gallon portable tank should be able to extend your range a bit. I've wanted to circle Esther island, but haven't made that run yet.

As far as what to know, keep an eye out for shrimp pots, they're dropped all over the sound and you could foul a prop if you don't keep an eye on those buoys. Often the worst water is from Whittier around the point, both on the way out and the way back. It seems like there is more chop in Whittier than Seward/Homer. Also expect confused seas around Wells passage.

That would be nautical miles... Thanks.

DC

Default OOH and AAH

I went out of Whittier for the first time in March of 2005. I've been to Homer, Seward, Deep Creek, Kenai river, etc. since '85-'86. I'm not generally a very excitable type of person, but I literally OOHED AND AAHED. We were extremely lucky and had sunny skies, FLAT calm water all day, 1 other private boat is all we saw, and snow down to the water. BEAUTIFUL!!

The first weekend we went to Esther Is, stopped in Pigot Bay, and came back. The next weekend we went through Culross Passage with a side trip to Cochran Bay, and a couple weeks after that, we hit Blackstone Bay. Didn't have such good weather on the Blackstone trip, but even then, I was really impressed. The only let down I had was when everyone else got their boats out and it started getting busy for the summer.

PWS is a beatutiful place...

Default A few miles into beautiful PWS

13 miles to Pigot point from there plus these to;
    13 miles to Esther Bay
    11 to end of Cochrane Bay
    17 to the end of Culross
    26 to Lone Island
    40 around Esther Island
    12 to end of Blackstone
    16 to Harrison Lagoon
    all are aprox and are figured only one way via National Geo TOPO Maps.

Thumbs up Explore

Go to Blackstone Bay and eat lunch watching the glaciers! Then pickup a little glacier ice for the cooler (it will last for a week or more) and then go fishing! Culross passage is also a great place. Good luck, enjoy and welcome to PWS!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I am new to this site but I am thoroughly enjoying the info provided by all....now to the topic at hand, I made my second voyage out of Whittier today and it was beautiful in the afternoon. Heard fishing was good at Pigot Pt. but no luck for me. Made it to Culross and Perry Islands. Gorgous place to just take a scenic jont.
    Shane