Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 use

Question Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 use

Has anyone used the new Garmin TOPO U.S. 2008 software? If so, how is it compared to the National Geographic disk set? If someone has the 2008 disk, I would be happy to swap map software for a week to try the maps out before I drop another 100 bucks. I have the National Geo set of 10 disks. I am in the Fairbanks area.

Are you using this in a Garmin GPS, or just on a computer?

I'd be curious what people think as well. I purchased a Garmin GPS this summer, but couldn't bring myself to pay $100 for the topo software. I sure wish they sold the maps state-by-state, as I have no need for a topo map of Delaware.

Brian M,

My thoughts exactly. Another $100 bucks for the hunting cause. I looked at the U.S. TOPO website and the maps are not what I would call hunting quality on the website. I was hoping to see if maybe it was better on the Garmin once it was loaded. If Garmin did state by state, I bet the maps would be better than 1:100,000 also.
    I just bought the new Garmin etrex Legend HCX. I called Garmin and complained about losing signal with my GPS in the car and in dense woods. The guy at Garmin said that this new Garmin, the one I bought, will keep a signal in a house and dense forest. I tried it when I received the Garmin and it does keep a signal in the house and in the car. I will try it in the forests/tundra in a couple weeks.

Jim Strutz,

The Nat Geo set of disks will not download to a GPS. I can download all of my waypoints, routes, etc. to the Nat Geo software on my PC. I would like to try the U.S. TOPO 2008 out on my GPS before I drop another $100.00 bucks.

I bought the Garmin Topo map set in late 2006, but I doubt there is substantial differences for 2008. I like to use the maps on the GPS, but they are limited by the size and resolution of the LCD screen. I'm using the Legend Vista, so I believe I'm a bit more limited than you in this regard. Still, having the maps loaded is a great asset. They show trails, and even cabins in some areas. The Topo set also has what looks like all the roads & streets of the Street & Trip map set, except that it has nothing for Canada.

There are some things I don't like about the maps though. First is the topographical (altitude) lines are set at 50 meters at it's finest gradient. They are converted to feet, but it is still odd to have lines at every 165 feet or so. I'm sure it works better internationally, but is not the best implementation for the US.

There are also some minor errors in positions. I'll be floating along some river, look at my GPS, and find that I'm actually a couple hundred feet up the left bank!

My final complaint is that no matter how much memory you have (I have a 2GB card in mine) it will only allow a little over 2000 items to load on it. That's just over 500MB of data, so I have 3/4 of my memory unused by the device. With 2GB I should be able to load all of the US topo maps at once, but if I want to do a cross country trip, I have to pack additional cards along. Perhaps they limit the data because larger data sets would take longer to search and display.

I think that at $100, the Garmin map sets are horridly overpriced for what they are, but I am still glad I bought them.

There are some free topo maps available for some areas:
    http://garminmapsearch.com/
    http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/

BTW, if you think the Garmin Topo maps are expensive (and they are) you should look at the Blue Chart maps for off shore & coastal areas. You pay the about the same price as the Topo maps and only get one section unlocked. If you want another area, you pay again. The section around here covers Alaska's central and eastern south coast, so you may not need more, but if you want to do some boating out of Dillingham, the Aleutians or Kotzebue, you have to cough up more bucks. It's not like there is a lot of data on these Blue Charts either. They are a lot smaller than the Topo map set.

I suspect if Garmin sold Topo maps by the state they would still be $100, and you would probably have to pay that three times to cover all of AK.

Default there ok

Ive been downloading the 2008 to my rhino and has been working great, yes it is the larger scale I prefer the 24000, pretty easy to do, you just select the maps you want then hit the button

I do like the way point feature where you can mark a wp then down load it, also has some handy measuring stuff on the pc

one big problem you can only download to one gps if you want to do more then one,you have to purchase another unlock code, not sure what that price is, but will probably have to spring for it since the wife and I each have a 530 and we leave for AK in a week

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    Brian M,

My thoughts exactly. Another $100 bucks for the hunting cause. I looked at the U.S. TOPO website and the maps are not what I would call hunting quality on the website. I was hoping to see if maybe it was better on the Garmin once it was loaded. If Garmin did state by state, I bet the maps would be better than 1:100,000 also.
    I just bought the new Garmin etrex Legend HCX. I called Garmin and complained about losing signal with my GPS in the car and in dense woods. The guy at Garmin said that this new Garmin, the one I bought, will keep a signal in a house and dense forest. I tried it when I received the Garmin and it does keep a signal in the house and in the car. I will try it in the forests/tundra in a couple weeks.

Jim Strutz,

The Nat Geo set of disks will not download to a GPS. I can download all of my waypoints, routes, etc. to the Nat Geo software on my PC. I would like to try the U.S. TOPO 2008 out on my GPS before I drop another $100.00 bucks.
    You need to try these maps on the 60C or better (CSx). Wow! I just came back from the haul road and I had downloaded six inset maps...extreme detail
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Question Garmin Rebate?

Diggin' around the Garmin webpage. Noticed on their "promotions" link it has a form to get $30 bucks off of the new 2008 TOPO software. Looks like you can only take advantage of this if you already own the old TOPOMAP CD's and are upgrading.

Gonna try to see how my old stuff works before trying to buy the 2008 version.

Also had deviation issues on hunts where I was over lake water but gps showed me over the shoreline???? That was with my GPSMAP 76S model. Good to hear the GPSMAP 60 CSX works well.....

What's the pro's of the 60CSX model?

tks

p.e. n' sitka

http://www8.garmin.com/whatsNew/curr...opo_rebate.pdf

ROGER 45,
    Are you having luck with the TOPO 2008 software or the SD Alaska micro chip that the 60CSX can use as an alternate method?
    Thanks,

p.e. n' sitka

Quote Originally Posted by p.e. n' sitka View Post
    ROGER 45,
    Are you having luck with the TOPO 2008 software or the SD Alaska micro chip that the 60CSX can use as an alternate method?
    Thanks,

p.e. n' sitka
    I borrowed a 60C from a friend and downloaded my 2005 Mapquest Topo maps onto the GPS without any difficulty. I transfered 6 (six) maps and they all worked great
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Excellent info,
    Thanks Roger,

p.e.

Thumbs down chip

I looked at buying a new gps so I could use the chip and have all my maps. They put alaska on two chips so it is 200 for the state. They put Hawaii on the alaska chips so you get 1/2 of alaska and 1/2 of hawaii on each chip, what a crock.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

What kind of chip do you use? I have a micro SD thats got the entire state of AK on it that I dont need.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Thumbs up Garmin TOPO

My better-half said the new 2008 Garmin TOPO map software is awesome. Lots more detail and it has a great 3-d view.
    Anchorage Ak

Default GARMIN Cartography Dept.

I recently contacted GARMIN and questioned why I couldn't use my flash card to load its contents on my PC? I had purchased the ALASKA NORTH (JAN 06), for my 76Csx and wanted to down load some WP's to my PC for later use and couldn't. GARMIN replied the cards are locked and can only be used in thier GPS's. I was then offered the TOPO USA 2008 DVD for $40 so I could save my waypoints to it. I guess it didn't hurt that I told them I didn't want to hear that I'd have to pay $$$$ for another map just so I could save the WP's. We'll see if they come through with the DVD and keep their word and reputation in good standing with me.

As for having to purchase ALASKA NORTH and then purchase ALASKA SOUTH w/Hawaii. DON'T!! These are older chips; newer ones are available that are just ALASKA. Go to their web site and check it out. I just didn't have the time to mail order from the internet and needed data for a hunt quickly. I now have to locate and pay for the Alaska South edition to complete the state topography. Bummer but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Well, my hat's off to GARMIN! They came through with the TOPO 2008 and only charged me $46 for the program. Now I just have to learn the in's and out's of the program. Does anybody know if those MICRO SD cards are sold in a blank format and commercially? The Garmon 76Csx only uses those types of disks and I'd like to create seperate disks for my adventures in the wild.

Default SD micro

Yes, the SD (SanDisc) micro is available at most electronics stores. Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. You could probably pick one up via E-Bay or someplace like that for much less than what you'd pay in Alaska.

Don't buy this software from Garmin. Go to Amazon and buy it for $60 with free shipping. If you have the old version, you can then submit the Garmin rebate form and get $30 back.

As for the idea that the price is too much, do some quick math on how much you would spend on paper maps (at $5+ each quarter-quad) to cover a decent sized patch of ground, let alone the entire state or even the entire country. I know I had well over $100 invested in paper maps of the central Kenai Pen before I bought my first Garmin (GPS 40). Mapsource is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I borrowed a 60C from a friend and downloaded my 2005 Mapquest Topo maps onto the GPS without any difficulty. I transfered 6 (six) maps and they all worked great
    I'm sure you meat Mapsource, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast