Thread: Moose Float

Default Moose Float

A little excitment in the air in Texas!!! I mailed my gear to Golden Eagle Air today.

Default Questions?

Hi Bob,

I remember the excitement of my first Alaska float hunt well. Do you have any questions we can help you with?

What river are you floating? How many days? What boats are you using? Is this your first Alaska hunt? How many in your group? What species are you hunting? What are your dates?

Here's to a great hunt!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I mailed my gear also today. Excitement is high here in Missouri also. Can't weight to get there. I think we are using a sow bug for a raft. 2 people hunting. interior alaska river float hunt. Class 1 river about 75 miles to float. Flying out on Sept 7th returning when ever. First half of the river is the best hunting so we are going to spend all of our time in this area.

Hello Mike,

My brother and I are going to be out 13 days. We are taking an otter with an extra inflatable kayak for extra weight if needed. We are going to be dropped off on the 10th and picked up on the 23rd. This is our first time to Alaska. We are going to hunt most of the time from one location unless there isn't any sign. Then we will move on and look for better sign. We'll use the last few days to get to the pick-up point. We are mostly after moose but will have caribou tags for anything that happens along.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Default More Questions

You mentioned you were using an Otter- what length? Even the fourteen-footer is a bit small for two hunters and two critters. Even with the yak for overflow.

How many miles between pickup points?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

It is a 14' raft. I was told it was good for 2200#. It is about 50 miles of river.
    Bob

Default Report

Don't forget to give everyone a report of your hunt after you get back. Most of us really enjoy hearing about others experiences.

I'll do the same after our moose hunt on the Peninsula.

Phil

ps. To Mike Strahan - I took your advice & tried once more - thanks.

I am soooooooooooo jealous!!! Good hunting to you; you're in for a real treat. Just be safe. Also, remember that there are several specific things you need to know about when moose hunting in AK, like leaving the meat on the bone, bear safety and other little tid-bits. Don't forget to post pix of that 80" monster when you get back!

Default Float Hunt

As this is your first time in Alaska be very careful floating the rivers and ensure you have a PFD (Personal Flotation Device) some rivers in Alaska are extremely unpredictable. Be safe, hunt hard!

Question Dumb Qestion?

I have never been to Alaska - Can I ask why you are sending gear out ahead?

Cost. A fly out float trip is gear intensive so its cheaper to ship your gear to Anchorage or Fairbanks at bulk freight rates. Its also best to ship well in advance of your arrival in the event of delays.

Default Also

Imagine you have a fly out hunt booked, and it leaves the next day after you arrive in town. You go up to collect your bags at baggage claim because of course all your gear is in them, and you find out that somewhere at one of the plane switches you did down south your bags did not get on the right plane "but we can have them here by next week" they would say. Thats why you mail your gear ahead of time.