Thread: favorite day rivers?

Default favorite day rivers?

Yesterday my daughter went with a group of 5 other women Kayaking down the Kasilof River. they started up at Tustemena lake, and paddled down to the Sterling hwy bridge. They had a blast ... the weather was great and the trip was just the right length for an afternoon trip.
    Easy class one and two, with plenty of chop to get everyone splashed on if they wanted to. .. My daughter says this is her favorite float..
    what places do you like to paddle if you want a fun day or half day on the river in your play boat?

Default kayak

The kasilof float is pretty fun. Its real lite and easy, i usually try to make it out there once a year. Swanson river, upper kenai are also fun. I'm looking for some faster water on the peninsula though. Not ready for six mile yet. Any ideas?

Lower Eagle River (just north of Anchorage) is fun. Campground rapids is a class III+, and is about 1/2 mile before the Glenn highway. It is well marked and easy to portage. From there on down it is class II & II+. You need to get a free 2 year permit at the Ft Richardson gate for the section below the highway.

Any section of the Matanuska River below the glacier can make a good 1-4 day float. There are a few holes in places, but they are easy enough to go around. Above there, Lion's Head Rapids is class III-IV depending on water level, and not a good beginner section.

Lyon Creek from the top of Turnagain Pass to the usual put in for rafting Sixmile Creek is all class II at most, but is full of sharp corners, and fun in short boats. Kayaks over 10' are probably not the best choice. People usually get out at one of the campgrounds in the area (Bertha Creek, or Granite Creek), but you can easily go all the way in a day. I think this is my favorite beginners float.

Portage Creek is a little shorter & mellower than Lyon Creek, but is another fun & easy float.