Thread: bullet sources in Fairbanks

Default bullet sources in Fairbanks

Now that Down Under is gone, my best local supply for bullets has dried up. I need to load for my 35 Whelen, but haven't had any luck finding Accubonds here in town. Sportsman's Wharehouse doesn't have them, Frontier Outfitters doesn't have them, Sentry in North Pole doesn't have them. Anybody know of a local source that has 35 cal. Accubonds in stock? I could try another bullet, but I like Accubonds. If I have to, I'll order them, but I just don't like paying shipping on bullets if I can avoid it.

I have a good supply of Swift A frames, Sciroccos and Kodiak in the 358 diameter but no accubonds. If you're interested in any of those let me know. I would prefer a bullet a bit softer and more expandable at Whelen velocities such as Partitions or Kodiaks. Also the plastic tips are so long that they encroach on powder space in the Whelen. Just my thoughts.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy do you have 35cal. Swift-A-Frame in 250gr that you would like to sell? If so how much do you want for them. I am loading for a 350 Griffin & Howe. I am going to take it on my Kodiak goat hunt. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Murphy do you have 35cal. Swift-A-Frame in 250gr that you would like to sell? If so how much do you want for them. I am loading for a 350 Griffin & Howe. I am going to take it on my Kodiak goat hunt. Thanks
    Yep. I have 250 and 280 grain Swift A-frame and 225, 250 and 275 Kodiak bonded for the 358 bore.

Prices are below wholesale. PM me and we'll discuss.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Murphy....preferences?

Well, I got an e-mail back from Lock, Stock, and Barrel, and they want $74 w/shipping for 2 boxes of Accubonds. I haven't heard back from Grafs or Natchez yet, but I doubt they'll be that much different. For that kind of money, I could buy premium bullets locally.
    I had considered going with A-Frames or Kodiaks before. I haven't loaded either one. I've seen good results from A-Frames and have heard good things about Kodiaks, but don't have personal experience to base an opinion on. Do you have a preference for either one? If so, why?
    I'm loading for a Ruger M77 MkII that was rebarreled with a Douglas barrel and 14" twist.

Well, I've taken just over four dozen animals with Swift A-frames and 10 different species with the kodiaks in different calibers. They are two different bullets for two different calibers, specifically velocities. The A-frames will stay together and penetrate well at very high velocity but won't expand so well at slower velocities and most likely to exit. The Kodiaks are a gilding metal, tapered jacket, bonded bullet. They work best at moderate velocity. Basically under 2800 fps impact velocity. At their best between 2200 and 2600 fps impact velocity.

They would be a great choice for the 35 Whelen. The only elk I ever took with a 35 Whelen was with a 250 grain Kodiak, my first Kodiak bullet blood letting. Broke nearside shoulder, rolled to a stop under the hide of off side flank. He backed up one step, staggered and his chin hit the dirt. Since then I've been a great fan of the Kodiaks for my Whelen, 338-06, 30-06, and the 375 H&H. The 250grain .375 is an awsome leopard bullet. The 300 grain my favorite lion bullet.

Kodiaks are cheaper than most ($35/50) with no loss in performance. I prefer the protected point for my hunting. That is a small meplat flat nose that doesn't deform in the magazine.

Default good info

Thanks for the info on Kodiaks. As I mentioned, I've heard good things about them, but haven't had any personal experience with them. I'll PM you.

Thumbs up Sportsman Warehouse

Have you checked SW
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    Have you checked SW
    Have you seen Swift or Kodiak bullets in SW?

Default Swift

Yes on the Swift and no on the Kodiak bullets
    Alaska

Default Bullets from Midway USA

If you ask the folks at Midway, they will ship bullets in a Postal Service Priority Mail Flat Rate box. Costs about $8.00 regardless of weight. My brother sent me a box that weighed almost 30 lbs. People at the P.O. couldn't believe it, but it was sent and delivered -- all for about $8.