Thread: New to AK fishing

Default New to AK fishing

I just arrived in state and would like to do a little fishing before the quick summer ends. I have rapidly learned I must add a new rod and reel as well as other equipment.

What size/kind of rod/reel would you recommend to me for an all around river rod? Line strength?

If anyone has any suggestions on a place for a beginner to wet a line, maybe catch something and not make a complete fool of myself in a more public venue please offer it up. I know there is a great deal of manners to learn here in AK on more crowded spots. I am not looking for a honey hole or a world record fish but something we can have for dinner would be great.

Work is picking up but I can still get out on the weekends and in the evenings.

I guessed that sportsmans warehouse might be a good starting point....

thanks,

MT3006

Most of my rods are ugly sticks. You will find that you will need a King rod, other salmon rod, Halibut rod, then if you chase trout grayling a light setup or fly rod.

Dang sounds almost like bass fishing and Bill Dance or Jimmy Houston! A rod for every occasion.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

For general purposes you can use a rod and reel setup for about 10 lb line. you can catch most salmon this time of year with this. There is a lot of debate about what rod and reel is best, but I say get what your comfortable with. You don't need a super expensive set up to catch fish. I caught many salmon on a rod I picked up at a thrift store for 50 cents.

I got my Butt rods at a garage sale! I think I paid $10 each.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/