Thread: Mechanical Broadheads

Default Mechanical Broadheads

Are mechanicals legal in AK? Any first-hand pros / cons (upcoming moose hunt)? I always had more confidence in them and they always flew much more consistently.

Thanks for any input,
    Ed

Thumbs down Nope

Quote Originally Posted by edpre View Post
    Are mechanicals legal in AK? Any first-hand pros / cons (upcoming moose hunt)? I always had more confidence in them and they always flew much more consistently.

Thanks for any input,
    Ed
    Illegal in AK for Moose and Brown Bear....

Thumbs up Mechanicals on moose...

Yep, double check the reg's. They are legal in Alaska, but only for specific game. Can't use mechanicals on moose and a few others. BUT, before they were illegal for moose, I did use the NAP 100gr Spitfires to take moose and they worked awesome. I have used the same head for black bears, caribou, fox and a coyote. Worked great everytime.
    As far as confidence and consistancy like you mentioned regarding mechanicals, the NAP 100gr Nitrons that I currently use have performed flawlessly on moose, caribou and black bears. They're a chisel tip, fixed 3 blade head, that are small (1 1/16th) when compared to some, but surprisingly effective. Awesome trauma, flight straight, stay together, you name it. They fly as good as my Spitfire mechanicals ever did, and those flew like my fieldpoints. Anyhow, my .02...

Thumbs up Fixed Head

Good for deer but for the big stuff I would consider a good thick blade head......I like the Rocket Ultimate 100 gr.......flys great.
    Alaska

I am going to use the Mangus four bladed Stingers for moose this fall. They shoot real well out of my setup.

Look in to Crimson Talon ,Its called spin tite.Look like it could do some nasty damage

Question Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Look in to Crimson Talon ,Its called spin tite.Look like it could do some nasty damage
    As long as it's not barbed, which would also be illegal. There was a thread here a while back dealing with Crimson Talons and which were legal and which ones weren't I believe.

No disrepect there Lex...that's just what I remember....

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    I just picked up some of these and can't wait to give them a test ... the advertised cut channel for the 100gr is 1.25" - impressive.

Default Crimson Talons

Be aware of your set up. The Crimson Talons are barbed or at least last years were barbed. If you have a thick arrow or fill in the barb you shold be ok but, if there is a doubt you need to check with Fish and Game before going out with them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    As long as it's not barbed, which would also be illegal. There was a thread here a while back dealing with Crimson Talons and which were legal and which ones weren't I believe.

No disrepect there Lex...that's just what I remember....
    None taken .

I just look at the cabelas catalog both the hyper speed and the talon xt have blades that look bent.Guess would be barbed.Nasty looking point.the cuda and the raptor both are mechanical blades that are pointing down.

Good piece of info ,Thanks Ak