Thread: Where are North Slope caribou?

Default Where are North Slope caribou?

Hey all you North Slope hunters- where are the bulls by now? Thanks to all who have recently posted about this subject on other threads. WW

Default So I've heard...

A friend who has a friend that's been up there for 2 weeks said they've only seen 3 caribou that whole time. 1 cow, 1 really small bull and 1 absolute monster. They started to stalk the big guy and at one point while they were glassing, they counted 3 other hunting parties already on the prowl...They said there was no room to park at any of the pull outs from PS2 to Deadhorse.

Not really an answer to your question but a report none the less. Have a safe trip.

Thanks for the help AT- Standing by for more info!

Red face

They are still out by the ocean for the most part where its cooler. There are quite a few clear out by Kaparuk, but who knows which direction (N or S) that they'll go. There isn't much south of Deadhorse right now. Lately, more hunters than animals. It's getting into August a bit and if it starts to cool some more, then who knows, they could very well start moving south into the hunting areas, OR not. Only the caribou know... It is what it is.

Heard Of Sightings At Prudhoe And Kuparuk.
    Cooled Down Today ,36, May Help Them Move Inland
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Any more info? Leaving tomorrow, drive to Happy Valley and fly out from there - will post about our hunt when we return 8-20! Thanks...

Thumbs up haul road bou

They aren't out in any real numbers, that's for sure. The word is that they're way out west and some out east, not to mention plenty of them north of the hunting zone. Some small groups south east of here, but seeing them from the road isn't happening. Went out last night after work and drove just south of PS-2. We saw 6 total. Nice drive though, lots of musk ox and geese. That's it. But hey, they're caribou and they could be crossing the road by the 1000's just 5 miles south of here as I write this too. Who knows. You just gotta get in the rig and go for it, it only takes 1.