Thread: What size pixies do u use for silvers?

Default What size pixies do u use for silvers?

What size pixies do u use for silvers (I'll be fishing valley streams)?

Default Half oz.

I like the medium sized ones, and I'm pretty sure they are 1/2 ouncers. The smaller can't be casted quite as far and the bigger ones are just too big. There are only four colors to worry about getting, all silver finishes with orange, pink or green, and chartruese. I don't bother with any of the other crazy colors. Those four, with the pink and green being the best in my experience. Stick with pink if you want to nail some big chums!

Get some #3 and #4 vibrax as well, silver blades in the same colors......

pm me if you want a few extra tips!

good luck!

Default Pixies?

Pixies? ok

I have used #6 Vibrex inline-spinners and MEPPS Trophy Series inline-spinners when casting hardware and have done really good when fishing coho, chum, and pinks in the Valley Streams. I have even caught sockeye (when trying for coho) with the spinners. The salmon will bite them and you are not simply snagging the fish with them.

I do not doubt pixies work...just prefer to use an alternate hardware.

I wont bore anyone with more pictures, but I have them if you want a look.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Pixies work.

Pixies work. All sizes, all colors, it really doesnt matter. In the early 80's I knocked the living crap out of all species in the valley with pixies, vibrax, mepps, daredevles, t-spoons you name it. Hardware is hardware. Get the lure in front of the fish they bite it. The only thing I tend to do (when I actually use hardware, which is rare) I take off the treble hook and replace with a single siwash style hook. Strong hooksets and easier releases if I want to. Take a typical kitchen spoon, put a hook and on it and something will bite if presented properly. It's been done.

Do you guys find it more effective to tie the line directly to the lure or to use a swivel in-between?

In Batin's book he says he prefers to use spinners in waters less than a few feet deep, and pixies/spoons when it's over 5? feet.

I use swivels when fishing with pixies, it allows the lure to easily move. It is easy to change the lure, too.

I use swivels though I have not notced a difference in catching fish. I primarily use it because I will switch luers every hour or so if I am not having much luck.

I tie the line directly to the Vibrax, but use either a swivel or snap ring on a Pixee, to prevent the square edge from wearing through the line. I usually use the 7/8 ounce Pixees; gold or silver finish with green, pink or orange sac. So far this year, i've used one lure. Haven't changed or broken it off. #5 orange tiger stripe Vibrax. So far 6 silvers, 2 reds and several foul hooked. I haven't been out as much as I want, but when I go, I'm usually catching something.

Where are you going?

Rb13, I'll be in Gigglewood (Talkeetna area)for 4 days, then Healy/Denali for 4 days and then Palmer for 3 days.

I wont bore anyone with more pictures, but I have them if you want a look.
    You mean like this one?

http://www.themasterangler.com/galle...?g2_itemId=508