Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King meat question

Default King meat question

I caught a king today that out of the mouth of a river down here in Juneau. He wasn't too red but definetly starting to turn. I saw alot of brighter kings with him but I got what I got. I know Ive kept much darker, and futher along kings before but when I cut him open his meat wasn't orange like normal. It was almost white or whitish yellow. My question is do I eat him? Ive never seen meat like this in a king but i refuse to think he is bad already. The meat isn't mushy either. Ive heard of White Kings - could this be one? Maybe I can throw him in the smoker if nothing else.

I kept a very similar king last year - just slightly pink, but flesh was absolutely white. He was excellent on the grill. I'm quite certain he was a white king, not just a fish that had been in fresh water too long, as his flesh was very firm. If the meat is firm, I'd say cook it as you regularly would and see how it turns out.

Grilling works or my favorite, Blackened salmon...mmmm good!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I would definatly eat it. If it doesn't tast right then you can make it in to chowder or something.

Default Bass King:

You want to share a recipe for blackened salmon?

As far as we know white kings do not spawn in alaska waters,what i've noticed over my 35 plus yrs of catching alaska kings is the further there along in the spawn phase the lighter the meat. Some folks are ok with eating them,smoking etc.....i find that there very slimme,and that they have a very fishy taste. I personally will not kill a king that has turned the color of a fire engine....bronze is ok....My 2 cents...

Default Blackened Salmon

Stew
    I agree with BassKing. Blackened Salmon is great and super easy!
    You can buy blackened seasoning in the spice section at the grocery store.1. Put seasoning on both side of fish 2. Get black cast iron skillet hot 3. Add enough olive oil to just cover bottom of pan 3. Cook each side 2-1/2-3 minutes and eat. Alot of people put butter on both sides of the fish and then add seaoning. Not using the butter is easier and tastes just as good. If you have trouble finding the blackened seasoning, PM me and I will post the recipe to make from scrath or hell I will send you some. We fish the coast south of New Orleans and I remember when Chef Paul started the blackened redfish craze, I have been addicted to it since then.
    I have eaten salmon in Alaska at a salmon bake that had a creme type sauce on type. If anyone has the recipe for a sauce that is put on salmon when it is served, please let me know.

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    As far as we know white kings do not spawn in alaska waters,what i've noticed over my 35 plus yrs of catching alaska kings is the further there along in the spawn phase the lighter the meat.
    I have caught white kings in seward before. If they don't spawn in Alaskan waters where do they come from?

They do pass through alaska waters,and even spend time feeding in the salt water off our coastlines,but they spawn in canada waters......so catching winter kings in seward,homer etc...is not uncommon...catching them in fresh water rivers of alaska is very uncommon,but according to past post it has happened,very very rare.......

Default Blackening

Here's how I do it:

1. Fire up some charcoal
    2. Once the charcoal is ready to be used, put a cast iron skillet on it. Let that skillet sit for 15 minutes until it is smoking hot. It'll turn a little white.
    3. While the skillet is waiting for the 15 minutes, clarify some butter and pour all over the salmon.
    4. Put the blackening seasoning on it. Prudhomme's stuff is excellent.
    5. Drop it on the skillet. It will smoke like crazy. Watch the side of the meat cook, when it looks like its about halfway cooked, flip it over. Pull when done. Don't overcook.

Its kinda cool making all that smoke.

Default White Kings

There are a lot of white kings in Prince William Sound. We caught one last year in the mouth of Jacks Bay while fishing for silvers. We steaked it and grilled it on the grill. It is great eating. The flesh is almost fat like in texture when raw but it firms up on the grill and it is great.

Default Not a White king

Ok - I went back, and caught a couple more. One was pretty red, and the other was just turning. By no means should the one just turning have that whitish meat right? I know it may sound cruel but not wanting to kill a fish just to check the meat color so I could MAYBE eat it but also really curious I took my knife, and made a small slice on the back of both fish just enough to see the meat color then released them. They were both the same with that white colored meat. I heard the dipac hatchery kings have that same color to there meat so maybe i'ts just normal down here. Im from the mat su valley, and im used to kings having a nice orange color to there meat.

So it's safe to say I did not catch the rare "white king".

And the meat from the original king just got done smoking today. Tastes great!

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I know it may sound cruel but not wanting to kill a fish just to check the meat color so I could MAYBE eat it but also really curious I took my knife, and made a small slice on the back of both fish just enough to see the meat color then released them.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default I know

I know I felt kinda bad but it's better than getting home to find out there no good, and feeding them to the dog.

I saw one of them later chasing some pinks around so I know there ok plus the limit where im fishing is 4 per day no annual limit, and snagging is legal.

I didn't snag them but compared to what everyone else does to those poor fish my little slices are just minor scrapes. Some of the dead kings I find have just there stomachs sliced open, and the eggs taken then thrown back. Some are just left up on the bank to die, and rot. It's a much different atlosphere than any king fishing ive seen.

They might live and be ok but c'mon, they're living animals. Catch them, dispatch them quickly, eat them, but never at the expense of more suffering outside of what it takes to keep them. There's so much beef, fish and poultry at the store that it's absolute unnecessary (not to mention sick) to 'experiment' to such a degree. I don't want to know that bad.

I know others do worse (snagging comes to mind) but you don't have to be like that, or to sink anywhere near that level. As I heard someone else say, if it's not chrome, it's not going home. Cheeseburgers aren't so bad.

Noooooo, don't eat him!! Send him to me!!! LOL. That's a stroke of luck for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    As far as we know white kings do not spawn in alaska waters...
    Any sort of study on this?
    I've had years when all I could catch were white kings. Some were dime bright 3 ocean fish, and some were just darkening up and schooling with the spawners.

The line between spawning in Canada vs. AK is pretty thin too... is a Taku River king salmon an AK fish or a Canadian fish? Same river, and yes, I agree that the act of spawning probably does take place far enough up the river to be on the Canadian side of the border. I'd still call it a Taku River fish caught near Juneau (in Alaskan waters)... we're only talking 30-40 miles to the border here. MANY major King rivers cross international lines.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok canCancase i'm not going to split hairs here, what i'm trying to say is 99.9 percent of alaska's fresh water does not produce white kings. You might be catching a number of white kings in the salt but i'd just about bet you money that your not catching them in fresh water in alaska..Do you charter into fresh waters or are you strickly saltwater????????

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    By no means should the one just turning have that whitish meat right? I know it may sound cruel but not wanting to kill a fish just to check the meat color so I could MAYBE eat it but also really curious I took my knife, and made a small slice on the back of both fish just enough to see the meat color then released them.
    If I'm not mistaken, mortality rates on snagged fish are not good (as discussed in an earlier thread). I would guess that a "small" slice on the back would quickly expose a fish to infection and stress (which in fish also quickly leads to infection).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast