Thread: .458 Lott reloading

Default .458 Lott reloading

I have a Dillon 550 press that I am considering setting up to reload .458 Win Mag and .458 Lott. I believe I have read the Redding dies are worth the little extra money. Are there any problems using this press (with the proper caliber conversion) for reloading these calibers?

Also, I ran across this site that suggests that a Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die is helpful for full length resizing (down to the belt). http://www.larrywillis.com/index.html

Does the Redding resizing die not resize down to the belt? Anyone use that special collet from Innovative Technologies, or anything similar?

I am looking to load some light .458 Win Mag stuff and work up to full house loads as I learn to shoot this M98 .458 Lott I just purchased. Your comments would be appreciated.

CB3

I too have considered the collet resizing die. It seems to be a solution to a non existant problem. With the belted straight cases, 458 WM and Lott, when adjusted correctly the Redding die sizes down to the base. There's no reason to adjust it short because there is no shoulder to headspace on, so just fully resize it. On the Redding dies the belt fits up into the die and the full body of the case resized all the way to the belt.

As for the Dillon, a fine piece of equipment but not at all necessary to load big rifle cases. Of course if that's what you have it will work.

Also if you can find some RL-12 powder it will serve well for both cases and can be loaded in a broad range of loads. Start with the 350 grain Speer bullets for lighter practice loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Dittos to what Murphy said. I had two 458 lotts, the first was an old one with a sloppy chamber, and it was while the lott was still a wildcat. I used RCBS 458 win mag dies seated long, so not only was I not sizing the belt, but not touching 0.3" of the case in front of the belt as well. I never had any problems with that setup. The second rifle was a much tighter chamber. I used Hornady dies for that rifle, and the early hornady dies had a belling die set up for the 45-70, which wouldn't work in my co-ax press, I couldn't seat it out long enough.

I found the lott an easy round to load for. For mild loads RL7 and a 350 gr speer or hornady is the ticket. I just used 458 win mag data and had similar velocities. 350's @ 2400-2500 fps are very mild shooting loads, and enough for any NA game. 500 gr @ 2200-2300 is another matter entirely, and really get your attention. I used RL 15 and Varget with the heavier bullets and had to compress the loads.

Personally I'd use a single stage press to load the lott, as you'll never put enough rounds through it to justify the setup time of a progressive.

I have used the Belted Magnum Collet Die. I had a 7mm Mag that had a long chamber. When I set up the die to push the shoulder back .002" it would not resize all the way down. I began to develop a bulge in front of the belt on my fourth reload. The brass was Norma so I don't believe it was any fault of the brass. I purchased the collet die, got some new brass, and haven't had that problem since.

Default Thanks

All your comments make sense. The collet die is out of production for a while, so I think I will go the Redding die road and see how well that resizing works. Are there tables or a good reloading book that will detail the lighter loads, or should I just scour this forum for any additional suggestions?

CB3

Just use 458 win mag data for lighter loads.