Thread: rhino scared of water

Angry rhino scared of water

My 07 rhino dies when I get in water. Water that is not even over my tires. Any suggestions.

I don't know Rhinos up close, never looked one over real good. I do know yamaha 4wheelers real well though Do you have the 450 or 660? Does it sputter in water or just die? What did you do to get it running again?
    I can think of 5 reasons and probably eliminate 2 because you didn't say you had to drain water from the carb. Let me know if you had to drain water or poor running after you got it out of the water. The 3rd cause would be steam entering airbox, usually sputters and doesn't kill it. So right now just going on the little info you gave you can start with the 2 most common causes. You need to dielectric grease the spark plug boot and the electrical connection on the back of the front differential.
    Pull the sparkplug cap off and fill it with dielectric grease.
    Squirt some wd40 on the big electrical connection on the back of the front differential and carefully disconnect it. It has tabs and is a bugger to remove usually. Clean with air and fill it with dielectric grease.
    These are most likely your problem.

Thumbs up

My vote goes for the dielectric grease. Water will kill the spark instantly.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by wglr30 View Post
    My 07 rhino dies when I get in water. Water that is not even over my tires. Any suggestions.
    Take a 3" rubber sewer pipe cover, stuff a pint jar sealing ring in it and stuff the thing in the exhaust cooling fan inlet down on the right side of the engine. That fan becomes a propeller in the water and can't shove a 3" column of water up the pipe that exits over the muffler, and that is enough to kill your engine at less than full throttle.
    You don't have to leave the plug in all the time, just when crossing water cricks, holes, or ponds. Keep it in the glove box and use it as needed.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
    Take a 3" rubber sewer pipe cover, stuff a pint jar sealing ring in it and stuff the thing in the exhaust cooling fan inlet down on the right side of the engine. That fan becomes a propeller in the water and can't shove a 3" column of water up the pipe that exits over the muffler, and that is enough to kill your engine at less than full throttle.
    You don't have to leave the plug in all the time, just when crossing water cricks, holes, or ponds. Keep it in the glove box and use it as needed.

Kurt
    Ya it's the fan, I learned some thing about the Rhino today. Sounds REAL bogus to have to stop at every puddle and install some rubber cover though
    So I researched the topic on highlifter for what most rhino drivers have done to fix this problem instead of pulling over and installing some cover. They REMOVE the fan! If they can do it with in the 100+ degree heat down in the states I'm sure it will work here. They also say to reroute the carb vent hose.
    If I had a rhino the first thing I would do is snorkle it! Good info on this site and this is a thread dealing with that crank fan.

http://highlifter.com/forum/Rhino_sn...2029170/tm.htm

I assume it's an electric fan. Just put a switch inline and shut it off when crossing the water. Pretty common for the 4x4 guys to convert to an electric fan and use a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    I assume it's an electric fan. Just put a switch inline and shut it off when crossing the water. Pretty common for the 4x4 guys to convert to an electric fan and use a switch.
    If it was an electric fan 90% of the rhino owners would already be putting in a switch instead removing the fan
    It runs off the crank and when the fan blades are forced to push water it slows the engine and causes it to sputter and or die
    It's to blow some exhaust heat away and I guess if you could find a SEALED WATERPROOF fan and install that it would be great. Like I said though most owners just remove it.

I'm the one that figured out 2 yrs ago that the fan was the problem. I published it on the atv forum and got a whole bunch of crap, couple weeks later, they were believers.

When I picked up my '05 Rhino, I took it up to Knik valley to run it throught it's paces. I was well aware of the stumble in water issue, but no one knew why. They had come up with all kinds of bs reasons that didn't pan out. The first creek I crossed up in knik, I killed it and had to tow it out. Once out, it took some time for the belt to stop slipping, but other than that, no problem.
    Knowing what went under and how, I elimiated all the usual suspects and then focused on that darn fan. I took it out and there were rocks wedged behind it, warping it as well. With only two bolts used, that ment the thing had to be flexing badly to allow room to get pea sized rocks behind it. Armed with that knowledge, I made a plug and went back up to knik and ran it through water just over the fan height. With the plug, no stumble or dieing, with out, every time. That, proved it was the fan. I wrote Yamaha tech about it and asked if the fan was really neccesary. They didn't say it was, but came up short of saying it isn't.
    My personal opinion is it was to make the forest service happy, that and the spark arrester. Wanna try something? Fire the Rhino up in the dark and take a look at the exhaust headers! Cherry red!! and normal.
    I am also after having read about the guys that simply take the fan off and pitch it, of the opinion that it may be causing header cracking. I don't intend to find out, but there are enough reports of that happening after fan removal, that I will take the 30 seconds to pop the plug on and off.
    There are days that I never take it off, all depends on the tempurature and how hard I'm working the thing. Shallow water, floorboard deep is not a problem, it's only when you are going to cross a distance in depths higher than the fan.
    If anyone wants a picture of the cover, which holds itself (suction) in, just holler.

Kurt

What about replacing that crank fan with a sealed atv radiator fan to cool the exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    What about replacing that crank fan with a sealed atv radiator fan to cool the exhaust?
    I looked at a number of ways to eliminate the fan, but none were cost effective or created a different set of problems. I made a cover with a 90 deg elbow to install on it, and then ran a hose up higher. It worked to some degree, but with bends and hose size due to limited space, the airflow suffered. I also contemplated putting an in line electric fan higher up in the duct and rerouting an intake, but then you are putting additional load on an already limited electric capacity.
    In the end, it seems like popping a cover on it when going through deep water seemed the only practical solution, cost wise etc.
    The fan system for our average temperatures is probably not needed for the most part here in Alaska except for hotter summer days. Most of my riding is done in the fall during hunting season so I don't bother taking the plug out unless it's hot.
    One thing I'm working on is installing some gages. Once I get a tempurature gage in I intend to monitor that and establish some temp that I will take the plug out or not. I just need to find the time to finish that project.

Kurt

I just took the fan off yesterday. Going to take the Rhino on a run today. I'll see if it solves the problems at water crossings. I'll watch for heat build up as well. I'll post results later.

AKMuddy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
    I'm the one that figured out 2 yrs ago that the fan was the problem. I published it on the atv forum and got a whole bunch of crap, couple weeks later, they were believers.

When I picked up my '05 Rhino, I took it up to Knik valley to run it throught it's paces. I was well aware of the stumble in water issue, but no one knew why. They had come up with all kinds of bs reasons that didn't pan out. The first creek I crossed up in knik, I killed it and had to tow it out. Once out, it took some time for the belt to stop slipping, but other than that, no problem.
    Knowing what went under and how, I elimiated all the usual suspects and then focused on that darn fan. I took it out and there were rocks wedged behind it, warping it as well. With only two bolts used, that ment the thing had to be flexing badly to allow room to get pea sized rocks behind it. Armed with that knowledge, I made a plug and went back up to knik and ran it through water just over the fan height. With the plug, no stumble or dieing, with out, every time. That, proved it was the fan. I wrote Yamaha tech about it and asked if the fan was really neccesary. They didn't say it was, but came up short of saying it isn't.
    My personal opinion is it was to make the forest service happy, that and the spark arrester. Wanna try something? Fire the Rhino up in the dark and take a look at the exhaust headers! Cherry red!! and normal.
    I am also after having read about the guys that simply take the fan off and pitch it, of the opinion that it may be causing header cracking. I don't intend to find out, but there are enough reports of that happening after fan removal, that I will take the 30 seconds to pop the plug on and off.
    There are days that I never take it off, all depends on the tempurature and how hard I'm working the thing. Shallow water, floorboard deep is not a problem, it's only when you are going to cross a distance in depths higher than the fan.
    If anyone wants a picture of the cover, which holds itself (suction) in, just holler.

Kurt
    kurt,
    if you could show or sent me some pics of your fan plug, it would be great. what is up with the pint sealing ring? is it the flat lid with the rubber sealant around the edge or the actual threaded sealing ring?
    i think i would rather try that first before i remove the fan.

Default Am I just lucky?

We've had both our rhinos (2006 660's) in water that pushed up to almost our seat bottoms. Never had either die out. Granted we don't put them in the water that often though, usually just to cross Jim's creek or similar body of water.

I have had problems where moisture gets in the intake and sputters the engine out and kills power... but that's to be expected.

Am I just dodging a bullet with this fan issue?

Funny that the great engineers at Yamahopper can't come up with a simple fan clutch. Maybe I will get bored one day and make a kit to solve this problem. I swear a guy could make a killing just reading all of these forums and designing simple kits to fix the engineers mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Funny that the great engineers at Yamahopper can't come up with a simple fan clutch. Maybe I will get bored one day and make a kit to solve this problem. I swear a guy could make a killing just reading all of these forums and designing simple kits to fix the engineers mistakes.
    Depends on what you come up with. There are individuals selling snorkle kits as well as companies doing it. Individuals started selling beefier axles and now they are a company (gorilla). This is a small forum, on the large ones they post fixs to problems, you can call them kits because they post all parts needed. The first thing members do is post all the parts in a kit that's for sale and tell you how to get the parts CHEAPER somewhere else So unless you come up with a patent you will be ripped off of your idea before you make any money. As far as this rhino fan goes, the most popular fix is to take it OFF and THROW it away. You're going to have a hard time convincing people they need to spend money on something THEY HAVE FOUND OUT THEY DON'T NEED. I'm talking lower 48 rhino owners where it's much hotter than here, if they say that fan isn't needed why would anyone in alaska need it.

Default Must have the right Rhino

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 05-09-2008 at 10:38.

dws- I wish that I had your same level of confidence in peoples intelligence. But next time you wonder through the store look at all of the useless junk that people buy. I don't pay to have any of my vehicles repaired I do it myself but the majority pay for every scheduled maintenance. I have no doubt that you (and I for that matter) wouldn't buy a redesigned fan but I know that many would.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist
    Too funny!