Thread: Vacuum Sealing Frozen Fish

Lightbulb Vacuum Sealing Frozen Fish

I wasn't able to vacuum package the reds I caught while on an extended fishing trip along the Kenai River recently. Instead, I stored the fillets in ziplock bags and rented space in a commercial freezer.

Now that I'm home, I'm concerned that my bounty of salmon will spoil and/or experience freezer burn fairly quickly unless I remove the frozen fish from the ziplocks and repackage it in vacuum sealed bags.

From what I understand, moisture and air are the enemies of frozen fish. Can I minimize these factors by vacuum sealing the frozen fillets or is it too late to reduce the likelihood of deterioration at this point?

Default no worries

I have vac pac frozen fish just wet the frozen fillets run them under the sink and vac, no need to thaw, now they wont seal as well as fresh but a lot better then anything else.

I now carry my vac pac when I go fishing, they go from the cooler in the boat to vac pac to freezer, cant believe how much better they are

I wish some one made a gas powred vac pac so I could do my caribou at camp

Default sealer

I have done just the same. What I do now with all my fish is put them in a zip lock (usually not frozen), leave the top unzipped put the package in vac bag and seal. the air comes out of both bags and is double protected. This keeps all moisture away from the sealing edge and gives you a bag to marinate in or just thaw. Give it a try.

Question Same here...

Looks like the lodge we are headed to next week doesnt vacuum seal our fish. We are going to be wrapping in freezer paper and then in ziplock bags, gallon size, to be frozen to -30. Any tips? Should we invest in a vacuum sealer or should we get it sealed and processed in town? or do you think it will hold with paper and ziplock. Thanks for any thoughts..

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian2000boston View Post
    Looks like the lodge we are headed to next week doesnt vacuum seal our fish. We are going to be wrapping in freezer paper and then in ziplock bags, gallon size, to be frozen to -30. Any tips? Should we invest in a vacuum sealer or should we get it sealed and processed in town? or do you think it will hold with paper and ziplock. Thanks for any thoughts..

Brian
    I know several people that wrap their fish in saran wrap first, squeezing out all of the air and getting a nice tight seal on the fish. Then they double wrap in freezer paper. That's it. I use a vacuum sealer but I've heard this other method works great. I even know a guide that does all of his game meat - moose, caribou and sheep - that same way. Has done it that way for years. If you are out a sealer, give it a try. I do not know if there are varying thicknesses and quality of saran wrap but you might want to check it out. Call up Mark at Wiggy's in Anchorage - he uses this method and can tell you better.

Didn't we all grow up using plastic wrap and freezer paper, then came ziplocs. I'm sure we ate a lot more freezer burned fish and game but careful work and spending some time with wrap and paper will do a good job, especially if you intend on eating it soon.

If I were paying big bucks to go stay at a lodge that didn't have a vacuum seal service, I'd shell out $30 and buy a used foodsaver. If you're in the anchorage area, you're welcome to take mine with you.

Default take one

man as easy as they are to take I dont leave home with out it,

Quote Originally Posted by chvynva916 View Post
    If I were paying big bucks to go stay at a lodge that didn't have a vacuum seal service, I'd shell out $30 and buy a used foodsaver. If you're in the anchorage area, you're welcome to take mine with you.
    Wow! I appreciate that, unfortunately I am not in the Anchorage area, we will be outside Petersburg. Thank you for the offer though, much appreciated. Looks like i need to go shop ebay! Thanks for everyones help.

You can wrap fish in plastic wrap very easily and it'll stay every bit as fresh as fish sealed by an inexpensive vacuum sealer. In fact, if you want to use a Foodsaver or equal vacuum sealer, wrap the fish in plastic wrap first to protect it when the vacuum bag leaks air through the winter. It'll also protect your vacuum from sucking fish liquids. Or just wrap the fish with plastic wrap and then in butcher paper. If you do a good job with the plastic wrap your fish will be perfect.

You can pick one up at Freddies for about $120.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

What I when I was there in June is as follows. I put my fish in zip lock bags added water and then squeezed some out and zipped it. If you freeze it this way you get no freezer burns. The caveat is if you have a lot of fish and you are checking it in on a flight. The water will add some weight. I only had about 20lb so it wasn't a major deal.

OP1

I once bought a vaccum packer (Food Saver brand) at Soldotna Hardware for $49.99. It still works and packaged over 350lbs of fillets summer of 2005. Small and easy to use, takes a little time but nice for the price.

Stick the ziplock in a bucket of water, the water pressure on the bag will squeeze out most of the air. Once the fish is frozen solid open the bag and add a bit of water to "glaze" the fish and then just give it the deep freeze.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692