Thread: Sighting in...

Default Sighting in...

I will be hunting moose up in unit 20A (DM770), and have never been to that area. What type of terrain, cover, etc. am I looking at, and what range should I sight in my gun to?

Sight in for optimum point blank range for your rifle/cartridge combo. Short of that, then whatever you're comfortable with.

20A is big with varied terrain. Everything from alder thickets, open stands of mature spruce and birch to wide open muskeg bogs where you can literally see a mile.

Assuming you're shooting somewhere between a .270 and a .338 the rule of thumb is zero in for 200 yards which means hitting somewhere between 2 to 3 inches high at 100 yards(depends on the specific load).

Once you get zeroed take some shots at 50, 150 and if you can find a safe place, 300 yards so you know where you hit at those ranges.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    I will be hunting moose up in unit 20A (DM770), and have never been to that area. What type of terrain, cover, etc. am I looking at, and what range should I sight in my gun to?
    Which general area of 20A will you be hunting. As was already said, that is HUGE piece of land.

-Eric

Thumbs up 3" @ 100 yards

3" high @ 100 yards will get you close to 300 yards with most rifles 30-06/180 or 338 Win/225 or 300 Win/190gr

Your shot could come @ 25yards or closer or to 300 yards.......which is my self imposed limit!

I have a range flag that I tie up in the tree @ 300 yard
    Alaska

There is a trail just north of Healy, it covers about 100-300 miles of mining roads. Good area to hunt with a 4 wheeler only problem is getting across the rail road tracks if you have over sized equipment (tires) smooth ride and lot of area friends seen a lot of bulls their last year. To the end and ride up the stream.