Thread: rifle carrier

Default rifle carrier

Anyone know where i could get a carrier that attaches to the pack for rifle in the fairbanks area. sportsmans and frontiers doesnt have one. i had one but long story any help would be appriciated

Default rifle carrier

I'm not positive, but I think I saw one at Barney's in Anchorage this weekend. He might sell it and ship it to you.

Good luck.

Default look in previous posts.

There were some good ideas brought forth on the same subject just a short time back. I do not recall if anybody saw something in Fbks or not. I have made my own in the past.
    If you can sew your own, go get some heavy cordura or other heavy material and make a pouch that the stock will fit into. I made mine about 4" deep, but you can make it much longer. Double or triple the top edge and then put in a Heavy duty grommet. (Oh yeah, all this is assuming you have an external frame pack.) This will attach to the bottom side pin, normally the same one that hold your waist belt on. Get some velcro and put a grommet through 2 or 3 pieces about 6" long (long enough to wrap around the stock and/or barrel) and attach those to the middle and top pins. Wallah! You have a skookum carrier. Easy on and off, and very little weight added.
    If you can't sew it run over to Tent and Tarp or Apocolypse. If you provide the fabric there is also several tailors around town including one off of college road east of ADF&G called Roses or Rosies. It is in the book. Don't think she can do grommets but she sure can sew.
    If the gun still wants to swing around a bungee cord will hold it in place.

Default thanks

thanks for the help might try making one

A 5/16 eyebolt with about a 7/8 inside diameter makes a nice complement to the stock pouch. Drill a hole in your frame, bolt on the eye and insert the barrel before setting butt stock in pouch. Dipping the eye portion of the bolt in rubberized paint or wrappig with tape prevents damage to your barrel.

does beaver sports carry things of that nature? I was told they have absolutely anything, so maybe check there, although everything could just mean mountaineering, skiing and camping, but its worth a shot
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Eye bolt

good idea on the eye bolt Eric. That would not allow the gun to move back and forth at all.
    Beaver Sports does not have any rifle carriers. They got out of the hunting specific business a long time ago. But APM is right they do have a bunch of stuff, and most of it is high quality. Like I said in a different thread, customer service there is top notch too. They spent hours on me custom fitting my pack.
    This would take longer, but a sheet metal shop could build the bottom pocket and then a guy could line it too. A bit heaver, but would last a long time.