Thread: Ruger Alaskan cylinder marking info.

Default Ruger Alaskan cylinder marking info.

I just purchased a Ruger Alaskan 454. I noticed some markings on the back face of the cylinder. An "SM" and 3 small dots approximately the size and depth of light center punched marks.
    I assumed that the center punch marks were from a rockwell hardness tester. I'm a machinist and have used these hardness testers in shops before.
    I called Ruger and asked about these marks. The guy I spoke with took my number and told me he would call me back. Within 5 minutes, I got a call back. He stated that the cylinders on the 454 alaskans go through 3 separate hardness testings , and that the "SM" denoted that the gun had been proof tested.
    I was curious and just wanted to know. I was happy to know that someone from Ruger responded so quickly.
    Just thought I'd pass it on.

Take care,
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by SinglerM View Post
    I just purchased a Ruger Alaskan 454. I noticed some markings on the back face of the cylinder. An "SM" and 3 small dots approximately the size and depth of light center punched marks.
    I assumed that the center punch marks were from a rockwell hardness tester. I'm a machinist and have used these hardness testers in shops before.
    I called Ruger and asked about these marks. The guy I spoke with took my number and told me he would call me back. Within 5 minutes, I got a call back. He stated that the cylinders on the 454 alaskans go through 3 separate hardness testings , and that the "SM" denoted that the gun had been proof tested.
    I was curious and just wanted to know. I was happy to know that someone from Ruger responded so quickly.
    Just thought I'd pass it on.

Take care,
    Mitch
    The .454 produces quite high pressures in quite a short impulse ...they want to make sure the metal is up to snuff. The .480 Ruger is easier to shoot ...I wonder if mine has markings on the cylinder? Never noticed...

Brian

Default markings

mine has markings too....i used them to remember what hole i was shooting out of...i have MS and one dot and them two dots.....it looks like they guy who punched the MS was on drugs... he didnt do a very good job
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"