Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm glock for bear protection?

Default 10mm glock for bear protection?

I am new to this site, and dont have much experience with handguns in general, but i find i am drawn more twards automatic's then i am to revolvers, and i was wondering if there was an automatic pistol at least marginally acceptable for bear protection. I'm lookin for something i can take on long hiking trips , i have a mossberg 835 12g that i take with me on any camping trip that dones't invlove long hikes, it is a rather large and unweildy thing to take hiking . I was told recently that a glock 10mm was decent for bear protection, but i thought i would get your insights, thank you for your input .

Default Better then a stick

Gave me a great idea for the world hunt organization, 10 fenced acres, 1 man with a 10MM and a large pissed off brown bear...............pay per view?

Suggest you scan on down the page to the thread entitled "Side arm/bear protection" (posted on 6-27) and read the debate that rages on...

Talking Well....

From my understanding CATS work best. Check the paper and see if there are any cats "free to good home". Place them in a bag shake them up so ther nice and pissed-off. Then if confronted with a bear, throw cats at the bear. This is cheap and effective.

Talking no title.....

Recently a friend took a short vacation to Alaska. He bought a nice new .40 S&W to take with him. I expounded upon him all the (little) knowledge I had and the great firsthand advice I have gotten here and he still insisted on the 40 because it was light......
    The question is fair enough but the topic does get beat to death here something fierce!!
    Just my opinion, but there is hardly a day goes by that this question isn't asked. Maybe it should permanently be posted at the top of this forum!!
    In my estimation I think you should carry whatever you want. No 2 situations will ever be the same. I read an article on a fisherman who put a bear down with his 9mm long enough for his buddies to unlimber their shoulder arms and dispatch the bear. But it's not something I would bank on.

I've witnessed one guy at a gunshow asking about the interchangability of certain types of ammo (calibers) in his rifle. The answer was an obvious NO!!! But I later heard him asking other vendors that same question. No doubt wanting to hear someone say yes, just so that he could justify doing it!!

Read the post refered to..... much good advice!!! and banter!!!

Default Here’s the formula:

Nothing = bad
    Something v. Nothing = better

Now, that being said and your admission that you have little experience with handguns, you just can’t get one and call it “good”. The 10mm has a bit of a kick to it and may not be ideal to learn initial marksmanship with, plus the loads you’ll be wanting for bear are a little hotter then the ones you’ll generally pull of the shelf. And it’s not “automatic” – it’s semi-automatic; you’ll need to aim your shots and pull the trigger, not just spray the general area. Would I use it? Maybe, depending on a couple of factors, but it sure beats nothing. Although personally I am not a huge fan of pepper spray, consider it as a secondary (primary being good judgment) and a hand gun as a backup to that.

I realize something is better then nothing, and that the best bear protection is the biggest most powerful caliber you can get lol ( well the best would be not to stumble upon a bear in the first place , but yeah) , my main question was is there an pistol with a big enough caliber that would be comprable to a revolver, i realize the revolver is more solidly built with less moving parts, i just like the feel of automatics better, all personal preferance of course, just saying .
    I am not a fan of spray and pray, and i imagine that your average revovler and your average automatic would be fairly acurate at 20yrds or so the extra magazine capacity in the glock would be nice, but like i said, my mian question is wether they make an automatic in a caliber big enough to be comprable to some of the bigger revovlers .
    Btw i've used the search and had a hard time finding much about automatics vs. revovlers and bear protection, I have however seen the subject of revovlers vs. bears beat to death here , and have seen the motto something is better then nothing, i'm just looking for the biggest somtehing i can get that won't break my back on a long hike or that gets in the way of my pole while i'm salmon fishing.

Btw , like the cat idea lol, unfortunatly, try carrying one in a sack with 70 pounds of gear on your back, if you could come up wit ha quick draw system were you dont have to rip the bag apart to get the cat out in a hurry, you might have something there . thanks

Default Semi-Autos

Semi-Autos utilize enrgy better spent downrange to cycle the operation of the pistol or rifle.

In my opinion, go with a large revolver. Larger than .44 Mag.

Taylor

Thumbs up Tip on cats for bear protection

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_AK
    From my understanding CATS work best. Check the paper and see if there are any cats "free to good home". Place them in a bag shake them up so ther nice and pissed-off. Then if confronted with a bear, throw cats at the bear. This is cheap and effective.
    Josh,

You missed an important point here but relax, ol' Mikey will fix it for you. That's what I'm here for; to tackle the tough issues and to provide instruction for those needing an advanced education on the fine nuances of doing anything at all in the Alaska outdoors, whether they know they need the information or not. So, children, get out your note pads; I'm about to provide a valuable bear defense tip.

Family pets have long been known as a popular way of defending one's self against the ill intentions of predatory wildlife. I recall a few years ago the story of two men who were working out on the Kenai Peninsula one spring, when one of the men's dog came running back to his master with a grizzly in tow. The man climbed a tree and observed the bear chasing the dog around the camp, after which the bear, having made his point, left the area. The other man heard a gunshot and came running back to camp just as his friend was grabbing a shovel to bury his dog, which had a bullet hole right through its forehead. "Dog like that'll git a man killed", was all the guy said just before kicking the dog into the hole and covering it up. Pets can be useful in bear country as an early warning system, providing that the warning comes early enough. The challenge is in training them to run away from camp, not toward camp.

All of which goes to say that training of the family pet is the key issue here. Now, we all know bears are often found near our favorite fishing holes along the salmon streams. Never mind that the bears were there first; history tells us that what really matters is the guy who is there last- not the guy who was there first! So how do you outlast a bear? You guessed it- cats! But not just any pound kitty will do, oh no! You must train your cat to conduct himself appropriately in bear country and friends, that means you have to teach 'em how to swim. It's really simple, and relies on a method I learned from my dear old pappy, summarized in my life verse, "It would have been a whole lot easier for me to learn how to swim if dad hadn't tied the sack shut". Just toss 'em off a bridge into a river (a lake will do, but it's hard to toss a sack full of cats and bricks very far). You want the cats that can figure out how to untie the sack. Armed with a half-dozen water-trained cats, staked out in a perimeter around your fishin' hole, and you're in for a peaceful afternoon casting for cohos without a care in the world.

I hope this tip helps; it sure made me feel better.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

My personal thoughts are, the minimum I'm willing to carry is a 44 mag, anything smaller and I'll go unarmed. My personal carry arm is a Ruger 480, 400 gr @ 1200 fps isn't perfect, but I figure makes it worth carrying. There are plenty of times I carry nothing, because really, bear attacks are extremely rare, and most often happen to people that do stupid things in the woods.

There are automatics that chamber powerful rounds, but they are big bulky weapons. There are also small lightweight revolvers, but in the stotuter chamberings they are brutal to shoot.

If you choose a gun on terminal merrits, then you'll figure out a way to pack it in the field. If you just want somethinge easy to pack, why not just carry a 22rf?

Default Pistol for bear protection

Smith and Wesson Model 500 with 4" barrel and Buffalo Bore 430 gr super hard cast ammo at 2,550 ft lbs. Good holsters and ammo carriers for the 500 made by Desanti Leather Co.

Default semi-autos

LAR Grizzly makes a .50 cal as well as the Desert Eagle. These are big (heavy) guns. I don't recall how many rounds they hold, but for the size you may as well get something bigger in a revolver and then just do trigger finger exercises so you can run the double action like lightning. The .500 S&W only holds 5 rounds BTW.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Bear dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    Josh,

Family pets have long been known as a popular way of defending one's self against the ill intentions of predatory wildlife.....Pets can be useful in bear country as an early warning system, providing that the warning comes early enough. The challenge is in training them to run away from camp, not toward camp.

-Mike
    My grandad was a logger in western Montana and they used to keep a small dog or two at the logging camp. When a bear would wander in looking for the cook tent or garbage the little dog(s) being small quick and nimble would actually chase the bear off. Run around thier legs barking a nipping and drive the bear nuts.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default well....

since the debat rages on...
    I CARRY A 10MM...there i said it i'm outa the closet! its a colt 1911 and i to preferr semi-auto's over the revolver, i haven't held a revolver yet that felt like the barrell was point downrange. my 1911 on the other hand is and exstension of my arm. as for bears... i've shot one grizzly with mine, on purpose, a mt goat and dall sheep. with 200 grain hornady XTP in a hot load, was more than impressed with its performance and wouldn't hesitate to use it on other game in the future.

BEAR protection..which pistol. i'll carry a .22 long rifle if i can't find a .38, and i'll carry a 9mm if i can't find a .40 and i'll carry my 10mm because i hate the rest of them, not comfy. Think of it like a seatbelt, you wear a lap belt in the back of rig, used to anyways, or have a shoulder strap, now that will work...sometimes in a crash, now a four point restraint like in nascar would be better...do you use it...no. so carrying the absolute biggest, fastest, hardest hitting. somethings will work, some things will work better. but your better off to have SOMETHING that WILL work, rather than nothing. If the 10mm fits your hand and you like to carry it, use that, if not find something else. most guys who are paranoid about what gun to carry "usually" have very little bear experience. they die like everything else, just gotta get the bullet there. a 9mm will work, so with the .500 smith, just the 500 will work more often.
    ahhhh wheres my 10mm....?!

Default 10mm should work!?!

Do a search on KTUU's website for black bear and theres a recent article about a guy who killed a black bear in his house with a .40 caliber, which is a little version of the 10mm.

Default Some Guys!

These pistol vs bear posts kill me I am with Rueben this topic should just remain as a permanent thread at the top of the forum it never stops coming back! Instead of learning how to shoot a pistol (you stated you had no experience with handguns?) for your long hikes, just train hiking with an adequate rifle(or your shotgun), you'll be better off. Some of the pistols guys carry anymore weigh **** near as much as a rifle. Lets see 6-7 1/2 lb pistol(S&W anything over 44 mag with 6"+ barrell) or 6 1/2 -8 lb 30-06, 300 WM, 338WM, 375 H&H, I know which one I'd take! And then theres the guys with the 4" 500 S&W that couldnt hit the broadside of a barn under pressure because the recoil is unmanageable. AHH I dont even know why I get drawn in to post on these threads, take a .380 PPK auto you'll be fine just shoot him a lot of times!

Thumbs down 10 mil

I'd pay top doller to see that on pay per veiw lol. In my opinion though if you want to live long enough to post another message here you might get something a little more potent like a wooden spear. Or a 44mag or better in a revolver. You should consider revolver verses semiauto reliabilty too along with caliber size. Or you could saw off the barrel on your shotgun to 18".

forgive me, I meant for this to be more of a pro's and cons on semi autos when it comes to outdoors, like i said before, i realize the best bear protection would be not to run into one in the first place, but as has been said, if it happens, it's better to have something then nothing.
    I have little handgun experience, since i don't as of yet own one, i've only really played with my friends .44 s&w and tauras .45 acp, but i'm guessing most people that dont own a handgun wouldn't have much expeience with them, thats what i'm looking to change...., and since they dont let you test a new gun in a store, i'm forced to look for opinions elsewere such as this forum.
    I am sorry if this subject has been rehashed a million times, but the info that some of you ahve provided is very insightful and i thank you for it. I am not horribly worried about running into a bear, i imagine it could happen, but the odds are in my favor that it would turn out alright more times then naught, but i also hike alone quite a bit and dont make alot of noise since i have no one to talk to really, so theres alwasy the chance i could accidently sneak up on one, i do carry bear spray , but like i said, i am lookin for something that packs alittle more punch, i would of course carry bear spray as well, better over prepared then under, just a shotgun gets rather heavy on long hikes anyways thanks again for the info.

Default It'll probably work

Like others said. It's better than nothing.

I had a 10mm and liked it. But I sold it.

I'm switching to a revolver primarily because I am more confident that it will work when I need it. Not that I ever had a problem with the 10mm. It's just that if I have a jam or misfire, it's a two handed job to cycle another round.

For me, I figure a revolver is a last resort weapon and there is a good chance that if I need it I might be hand to hand with a bear. I want a revolver in that situation.

But I don't have a problem with you using what you feel comfortable with, knowing the limitations.

For sale or trade: 30-06 mdl. 750/sling/excellent shape/ Mossberg short barreled 12 gauge never fired/ S.W. 500 new in box...will accept 6 water trained cats or four small camp dogs.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast