Thread: OT Discovery Rocker

Default OT Discovery Rocker

I have an Old Town Discovery 16 that I have had some bad experiences with due to side wind and the poor tracking due to the rocker in this canoe. Am I "flinching" over the few times this has happened, or should I just buck up and deal with it because the canoe has so many virtues. A little advise on rocker would be greatly appreciated because I had never run into this before. I had a tough time getting my little 13' Coleman to track straight with a side mounted electric and wonder if this discovery will be the same with a side mount due to the rocker? Haven't tried it yet.

Default side mount

side mounts never did track very stright for me, get a squar back it will work a 100% better if not a 1000% SID

Smile discovery canoe

the discovery canoe is a good boat but lacks the keel line to hold a straight line.
    side mount motor brackets are not designed for very much Horse Power, so caution should be used in asking very much from this set up.
    Canoes are an investment not just toys, and there is no one canoe for all seasons and uses.
    even though I have more than 2 dozen canoes, I still don't even have one of each style or design.
    you are going to have to give a little here and a little there for the multiple uses.
    just don't ask for fast speed or use this setup on rivers that run fast.
    I have run up some small rivers with a few fast spots with a small 2 hp gas motor and have done just fine, but i was not loaded with a moose going up stream... I often wondered if you mounted a fin on the back of a canoe, similar to a steering fin on a sea kayak and made it adjustable you could set it to overcome the side push from the motor on the mount to some degree.
    just an Idea
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

That's not a bad idea. Have to think that one through. I have a long shaft electric, and can easily tilt the shaft so that the propeller is under the stern. That seems to help a little. I don't expect the Discovery to be a doall, just trying to make life easier. I especially like the size.