Thread: What's up with the Upper Kenai?

Default What's up with the Upper Kenai?

Where are the reds? The second run of Reds has not really materialized. Judging from the fish counter the entry into the Kenai has been minimal. If I plan my trip according to the fish counter I could be a day or more late due to the location of the counter. Is there a more timely way to know when the fish are running? From previous post.Yes, I do drive a tank from Wasilla. Actually its the 1970's heavy camper that drags down my gas mileage.

Default They're there . . .

Iggy, I wasn't there this weekend, but my fishing partner was. They floated and fished from Sportsman's down to Jim's. The river was very lightly loaded in terms of boats, and they told me there were fish everywhere - it was hard not to catch fish.

SH

We floated Sportsmans to Jim's on Thursday and Kenai lake to Jim's on Friday. Definitely seemed like there were more 2nd run reds below schooner bend. They ARE there, but I'd be wary to say they are in as thick as they soon will be.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Centenial Park

Yes, I can understand that when you are floating, it increases your chances immensely to get into fish.I have been enjoying going out to Centenial Park with the wife and occasional grand kids to do fishing. My wife enjoys the camping style atmosphere there. We always have had success there except for this year. Seems like a hit or miss thing. Normally the second run hangs around a little longer and does not dash to Skilak and below.

Default were not there this weekend

I fished in a lot of the kenai this weekend, and I sure thought it was slow. I wish I had that boat hippie had!!

I fished from Moose river to the russian. I stopped that the russian sat afternoon, and watched for little while. I think Sat might have been the day to be there. I went passed it as it was getting late and I didn't want to stay there all night. I went to Izak Walton there at Moose River, and caught a couple pinks. I went to bed, woke up and tried again. I got a couple more pinks. I then went to Bings for a couple hours and it was slow. Then to Jims landing, and it was slow, but I did have 2 hookups in about 2 hours. I then went to the Russian on Sunday. I got there at 11am, and fished until 5pm. I hooked up twice, but none landed.

For me anyway it was a slow fishing weekend. The bright side was the weather was very nice, I slept right beside the kenai, and got to relax trying to catch some fish. It was still a lot of fun.

I fished this weekend from the Ferry down to the powerlines with 4 other people. We didn't catch one. I talked to quite a few others and people were only catching 1 or two all day.....if they were lucky.

This is my first full season here and I haven't had one of those "catch your limit early" days yet.

Default rainy saturday

We floated from the lake to Jim's on Saturday & the fishing was less then spectacular. There were a couple spots where you could see large schools going by but they were all red. It seemed like it was loaded only with 1st run fish or 2nd run that spent a long time in the lower river. S.H. I agree the river didn't have many boats on it but the weather probably had a bit to do & the lack of good fish to catch. Leaped frogged with a few guide boats all day & it was pretty dismal for most that I saw.