Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camouflage for hunting...

Default Camouflage for hunting...

Do you think that camouflage is a necessity for hunting big game? If so, what brand/pattern do you wear?

I have noticed on many hunting shows recently that the hunters are all camoed up whereas the guides have been in pretty casual attire. Does a good hunter really need the most expensive camo and the newest patterns?

As a recovering camoholic I say no, it is not. For waterfowl, turkeys and predators it's necessary, but not for most big game hunting.

Movement, or, actually, being still is 90% of camoflage. You could hunt in a clown suit and if you held still the animals wouldn't notice you most of the time.

Hunting show hosts wear it because they're usually sponsored by the brand they have on. A lot of "regular" hunters wear it because for the last 25 years it's been almost impossible to find quality hunting clothes that aren't camo.

A lot of old bushkins have consistently brought home the meese and caribou having never worn a stitch of camo.

I think when used correctly camo can give you an edge, but if you squirm and move at the wrong time, you may as well be wearing neon colors.

I use camo on occasion depending on the method of hunting and what I'm hunting.

I like and use ASAT. Although I think Natural Gear, Predator and the more open patterns work just as well.

During the winter for predator hunting I use German military snow camo the has scattered dark green slotches that mimics spruce boughs. It really does make you invisible.
    Now what ?

Smile

When or "if" I wear camo, I prefer the fall grey predator camo. Works really good in all seasons up here.

Default Camo for Alaska

Anything in the brown to grey end of the spectrum. Stay away from green patterns, and go with something with large color blotches as a background to detailed patterns. This breaks up your outline at a distance and provides cover close up.

For those who don't know, Alaska has no blaze orange requirement, and the only folks I've ever seen wearing it are non residents. Leave the orange hat at home.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up Orange Hat

I like my Orange Hat........gives me sense of security when calling!
    Alaska

For hunting Alaskan game watching the wind and staying out of sight are far more important than camo.

I use my same 4-1 parka that I use for waterfowl hunting in the spring because it is waterproof. Sometimes I just use another jacket I feel fit for the weather, usually what is most comfortable.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Alaska Camo

I Am In The Process Of Designing A Camo Pattern For Fro All Most Alaska Settings. Will Let You Know And Post Photo When Finished

Grey would be the perfect alaska camo. All my fleece feels really dark to me, and I would rather use something with a lighter pattern. I may have to go to sportsmans before my sheep hunt to see if they have anything I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Grey would be the perfect alaska camo.
    I'm glad to see so many people advocating grey as the color of choice. I had to laugh two years ago when I was up on the Haul Road. 95% of the hunters I saw out in the field were wearing camo that was way too dark for the tundra, often some sort of Mossy Oak pattern or something of the sort. They stuck out like sore thumbs, even from 1-2 miles away.

As for me, I have a thin camo oversuit that I paid $10 for almost ten years ago at Army/Navy. It slips right over anything I'm wearing, which is nice as I can wear it in any temperature. It used to be light green/gray, but now it has faded to nearly all gray. My wife and multiple friends have commented on how I disappear when I am out in front of them, whether at the top of sheep mountains or crossing the tundra chasing caribou. While I agree that camo isn't necessary, I usually wear my oversuit as it is very light and easy to pack. If you're going to wear it, don't get a dark color suited for the hardwood forests of the lower 48 - better to go with a grass or rock pattern.

Default why no orange?

Mike, I don't understand why you feel only non residents wear blaze orange and suggest we leave it at home. As a hunter ed instructor, we agreed to wear blaze orange while in the field hunting with firearms. Regardless of that, I habitually wear blaze orange while hunting. When in alpine and walking within a line of hunters it is easier to spot people on either side of you. It is easier for other people hunting in alpine with .22 or larger to see blaze orange from long distance. While grouse hunting or hare hunting in the woods it is much easier to keep an eye on partners. In my case that normally translates to my children. I even wear a blaze orange hat while on Yukon River hunts whenever I get off of the boat.
    Years ago on the Koyukuk I was back in a special spot 1/2 mile off of the river. Lo and behold hunters came into the general area and shot a big moose several hundred yards away. Just pure luck we ended up in the same area, but goes to show never bet against it happening.
    I will be wearing a blaze orange hat while sheep hunting in the corridor this year not for preventing getting shot, but to let other hunters know where I am to help reduce interference. Sure stinks to put a long hard stalk in and find somebody already there that you might have seen if they were a bit more visible. And lastly it is easier to find somebody when they need help if they are wearing something more visible than camo.
    Hunter orange along with education have helped reduce hunting accidents more than anything else. Certainly hope you are not an opponent of using orange while in the field.

I had been thinking of getting some advantage Max 1 camouflage for this seasons hunts. My main reason is getting some tough rainproof stuff to wear while in the field, and I like the colors that Max 1 offers. As others have said it has lots of light brown and greys and a little light green as sage. I don't really have good quiet rain gear, and that is my main goal to purchase some.

Default Sheep?

What do people think about camo for sheep hunting? obvious I am a novice sheep hunter. Although born and raise Alaskan. Never needed camo for moose or caribou. In fact I have had caribou come check out a flash of a hat. He made it to the freezer. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by baumerj View Post
    What do people think about camo for sheep hunting?
    Again, gray patterns are the color of choice for me. Nothing can subsitute for stealth when it comes to stalking sheep, as they have amazing eyesight, but I help my stalking along with a grayish pattern that will blend in with shale along with high alpine tundra. Not an absolute necessity, but since my suit weighs mere ounces, I always pack it along and put it on before starting a stalk.

Wink

Yes camo works, my favorite is a large grey pattern for fall .From a distance soft mixed colors, loden green flece/ grey vest etc. work just as well. The camo makers would have us believe that we must have the latest pattern to , ( blend in, ) HOGWASH!! They just want to sell us somthing new.For waterfowl i"ll wear solid, lite browns/ tans, filson, carhart type stuff, and have no trouble. Those colors that match the marsh are camo! Scent, movment, are dead give aways when hunting big game, and you will come home empty handed wearing the best camo, unless you take care of these first.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Mossy Oak patterns are the goofiest that were ever introduced, especially in Alaska. Advantage Max works, heck the whole line of Advantage is pretty good and works well here, Wetlands is my choice.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I use the Outfitter Camo pattern for hunting in Alaska. It's mostly a light tan with some muted green and brown blotches.

Default mossy oak

those oak leaves and spanish moss patterns confuse the sheep and they walk right toward you. I guess they think you are shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    For those who don't know, Alaska has no blaze orange requirement, and the only folks I've ever seen wearing it are non residents. Leave the orange hat at home.

-Mike
    My kids (13 and 11 yo) are hardly "non residents"....I make them wear at least an orange hat. Blaze is highly encouraged in all the Hunter Ed classes, required or not.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast