Thread: Jim Creek Area

Default Jim Creek Area

Does anyone know if you can shotgun hunt small game in the Jim Creek area? I know there are a lot of ATVers out there, but early in the morning, I wouldn't expect to come across a lot.

Thanks!

What kind of small game are you expecting to shoot with that shotgun of yours?

Here's my take:

Jim Creek is a highly traveled area. If you are hunting a very intelligant animal like coyote, fox, wolf or lynx you can almost forget about it. I've tried it the past two winters with very little success, even extremely late at night or early morning. I hear them on every other trip but they just wouldnt buy my dinner bell. And that is with a rifle for long distance shooting. Now if you are talking about rabbit, grouse, ptarmigan, and other dumb as a rock game then the shotgun is worth bringing.

There are so many trails in the Knik area it's rare that you cannot find a trail that has not been traveled upon by another living human that day. Even riding down the woodline trail to wolf point, which is probably one of the most traveled trails past the flats, you will see rabbits all day long. You may not see them in summer but they stick out like a sore thumb after the first snow. It's almost not fair. I don't see as many ptarmigan until I reach the glacier. Even before Friday Creek I have seen enough rabbits that would feed an army.

thanks for the reply. was looking at grouse mostly. you mentioned "woodline trail to wolf point" past the flats. Where does one get to that? I'm looking for good spruce forest trails trails or ATV trails. Thanks!

Sounds good I've had a hard time finding rabbits this last year.

I've not been down to Jim Creek in years, and I don't really remember the layout at all...how do you get to the glacier? the trail you were talkin' about, etc.?

Thanks,

Jon