Thread: Salmon Shark from a Kayak!

Default Salmon Shark from a Kayak!

Talk about excitement. Read this article from the ADN. A really neat attached picture as well.

Yeah, I saw that this AM. That would be an experience. If the seas hold, I am heading out there after sunday. I am going to seal rocks and back to the light house for some butt. Unless those critters are still there. hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by LipSnatcher View Post
    Yeah, I saw that this AM. That would be an experience. If the seas hold, I am heading out there after sunday.
    In a kayak?

Red face Kayak? Me? HaHaHa

No way man, we have an osprey that I will feel more comfortable in.
    Never been out there, I think it will be fun. I hope we can make it to Seal Rocks. I have heard some crazy stories about that place. BIG stuff everywhere. I wouldn't go in Mirror Lake in a kayak. The wife would be collecting some insurance and I would be drowned.

Default Hmmm...

Using whole pink salmon as bait... . Isn't something wrong with that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Nope - the charters buy the salmon from the processors on shore. It is legal to use commercially caught salmon as bait. We've done it with chums before while longlining halibut as well.

Default Woah!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nope - the charters buy the salmon from the processors on shore. It is legal to use commercially caught salmon as bait. We've done it with chums before while longlining halibut as well.
    Where can I buy a package? Do they come like herring? How would you be able to prove to a game warden that they were "commercially caught"?

I see big possibilities here for great halibut/ling cod bait...

How about a big lure with a humpy fillet attached (ala sardine wrap on a Quickfish)?

Where can I buy a package? Do they come like herring? How would you be able to prove to a game warden that they were "commercially caught"?
    If you're actually interested in buying some, I'm sure talking to any of the processors would do the trick.

Proof comes in the form of a receipt from the seller listing the species and pounds purchased.

I know you're skeptical, but this is standard procedure for shark fishing (and probably some other fishermen as well).

I bet that would produce some extremely large halibut, whats the largest halibut ever produced by your familys boat brian?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    whats the largest halibut ever produced by your familys boat brian?
    Not too big, actually...at least not by commercial standards. We've had a couple over 250, but where we fish anything in the 100 pound range is exceptional. Our average is 22-25 pounds.

I've actually heard you get less per pound for anything over 100. Any truth to that?

Are you referring to the price paid? If so, nope. We get paid more per pound as the fish get larger, with anything over 50 or so pounds worth the same amount per pound.

Question For real...

Unbelievable. I would like to see a picture of them fighting the sharks.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 08-06-2007 at 09:54. Reason: Change

Do we have the 3A vs. 2C double standard at play again? MY current set of EO's and news releases have a spot about sport caught pink and chum salmon now being legal to use for bait. Yep, just checked... it's in SE only (for now.)

For the last few years, I've had my local processor vacuum up pink and chum steaks. I keep 5# or so in my bait freezer for the impromptu halibut or sable trips we book. Nice convenient packaging.... something like the nice trays of herring I buy instead of pulling my own fresh bait... saves a LOT of "wasted time" in the clients' eyes.

-Case

M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Im heading out this weekend to go kill a shark. Does anyone know where i could buy some pinks in Anchorage?

Fish Killer

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Unbelievable. I would like to see a picture of them fighting the sharks.
    You don't fight the shark from a kayak. You just hang on for the ride.

You've got a drag on your reel, and (if you're smart) an air bladder of some sort in the kayak with you. So the shark can't pull you under. He'll eventually tire, and you shoot him.

I knew a guy who shark fished in Santa Barbara Channel (famous for big white sharks) in a 13' jonboat. He used jugs as "bobbers" (similar to the exaggerated drums on "Jaws"). The shark fought the jugs of air, not the jonboat.

It's a neat gag, if you're into such stuff.

I outgrew gags years ago........

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Killer View Post
    Im heading out this weekend to go kill a shark. Does anyone know where i could buy some pinks in Anchorage?

Fish Killer
    Try Favco or 10th & M. I'm not sure if they do, but that's where I would start looking.

i wonder if they prepared their catch properly after it was caught. it won't be good eating if they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by kirktabasco1 View Post
    i wonder if they prepared their catch properly after it was caught. it won't be good eating if they didn't.
    You have to take the pancreas or something out right away on sharks or something like that, right? Or it will ruin the meat.

you have to bleed them while the heart is still pumping, usually cut em' at the tail and then gut them asap when they die. keep the meat cool until you get home.