Thread: Crampons

Default Crampons

For a sheep hunt that can go to Sept. 17th in Chugach State Park, would you recommned packing crampons? I have them and included them in my original packing list. Areas are Peter's Creek Drainage, Thunderbird Creek Drainage, and Goat Creek Drainage.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I haven't used crampons on any of the sheep hunts that I've done or have accompanied people on in 14C. I don't think they're necessary, but I've also spent a lot of time in these mountains and feel pretty sure-footed.

i like the 4 point crampons light wt.,compact did not bring them on last sheep hunt wish i had but usually don't need them for sheep but i have used them for deer in the sound also after little rain it is nice to have better footing.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default crampons

For those drainages prob'ly not, but for some areas of the Chugach with heavy glaciation: crampons, ice ax, and rope are usually a good idea. I think it depends more on the anticipated terrain you expect to engage rather than the time of the year.