Thread: What Gear For Alaska Surfing?

Default What Gear For Alaska Surfing?

Besides a dry suit (any recommendations) what other gear is necessary for Alaska surfing? Any difference in the board you use? Longer? Shorter? Same leash set up?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I'm not an Alaskan Pro surfer, but it seemed very similar to East Coast surfing if you've done any of that. You're not going to be pipelining, but it's pretty fun surfing while surrounded by mountains. I'd highly recommend that your dry-suit has or you buy a neoprene hood for it, it'll keep you out there longer and warmer. I've only surfed in Yakutat, but the hood was definitely what kept me out there longer and others were heading for shore to warm up sooner.

im from cape cod, ma and surf all over NE... we surf year round - beach break and rocky points.. hurricane season and winter nor'easters are the best times... winter we are wearing 5/4/3 hooded suits with 7 mil booties and gloves. keeps me warm for about 2-3 hours on the coldest days, winter water temps in the 40's. i would think alaska would be somewhat similar. i wear the 5/4/3, others wear the 6 mil suits

Good to know. My surfing experience is limited to years living on Oahu. I couldn't even get the courage to go out in Southern California without a wet suit!

I have been diving in 50 degree water though and my face did not care for it. Good recommendation on the hood.

Default First time posting...but here are my thoughts...

I'm such a fan of my drysuit set up I thought I'd post...although it looks like you're not talking about surf kayaking. I surf kayak off Three Mile Beach past Pasagshak on Kodiak Island. The GoreTex Kokatat drysuit is wonderful - with the built in spray skirt "attachment" and booties. They make a polar fleece liner which is incredibly comfortable and doesn't bunch like other insultation layers. During the summer I can get by without a hood and without gloves.

Good surfer friends of mine recommend those waterproof socks - forgot the name but they swear by them. I'm just stoked that the drysuit has it all together.

Thumbs up dry suits

is this the dry suit you are wearing to surf in melissa?
    http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=exp

It sounds like the polar fleece lined items would make it very comfortable and warm...
    do you have some pictures you can share of the surfing in kodiak?
    what size of waves do you normally find in kodiak?
    This is very interesting..
    I have wanted to get a new suit for my sea kayaking gear, and I am not sure what to get ,, but these kind of testimonials make the decissions much easier..
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 10-07-2007 at 08:09. Reason: spelling
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Kodiak Surf Pics on Flickr

Yes, that's the drysuit - only mine doesn't have the hood. For kayaking the spray skirt seal is a nice feature, especially while surfing.

I'm still learning - been kayak surfing for two years. It's an hour drive out to the beach so we never know what it's going to be like. That pretty much means that we surf a variety of waves - playing around on the little ones on the tame days. Last time I went out the waves were the biggest I surfed. I was the only kayak surfer out there that day...with about 7 surfers. Mistakingly I put on my helmet (with a molded visor [Sweet helmet])...BIG mistake as you may know. First wave to crucify me dragged me through the break by my helmet. Not so sweet - made it to shore - threw it on the beach and went back out to surf. Amazing day! Unfortunately my surfing friends went out fishing or back to the lower 48 for skiing. I think there must be a thread on this site to find more people to surf with right?

Anyway - I rambled on - here are the pics:

I don't know how to add photos to a forum - so I put three pics on flickr...here's the address: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14486363@N07/1511230075/

Wish I had some spring/summer pics, but we were too busy surfing and building bonfires afterwards!

Thanks a ton!

BTW, Ak Raft & Kayak quietly advertised on Craig's List (without their name in the ad) they were selling their stock of breathable fabric drysuits for $400. They come with booties and a relief zipper. It's a good off season deal so I bought one. They seem to be made quite well.