Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Jim creek silver numbers?

  1. #1

    Default Jim creek silver numbers?

    Anyone have an educated guess to what the number of silvers returning to Jim creek are each year. Someone told me that there use to be a weir out there.

  2. #2

    Default

    There used to be a weir at the woodline. Pretty sad if you ask me, we would see many dead fish ontop of the sand bars and floating downstream. We never saw that until the weir was setup in the water. The weir would back the fish up into the flats and they had no where to go. I heard a rumor a group of people ripped it out, could be more fiction than fact. Glad to see it gone either way, but that was many years ago.

    For such a small creek the run is strong. If I had to throw out a rough estimate I would guess a few thousand reds and just as many silvers make it to the spawning grounds. You'd be surprised how far into the swamps these fish actually go.

    According to F&G pike have made their way into Jim Lake. If that is true I suspect the salmon runs will start to dwindle as the pike population increases. I've always thought Jim Creek and it's lakes are the perfect water for pike, but I would absoultely hate to see it happen with such an excellent salmon fishery. What else I find odd is we never used to catch chums in Jim Creek until a few years ago. A couple of years ago we'd see the occasional chum swimming with a school of silvers, and each year more and more showed up.

  3. #3

    Default Kings Too

    I caught a king there last year. Yes it was a king. Black gum line and 15-20 pounds. Someone else there that day said they caught one the week before. They were probably just strays but I sure would like to see kings start there.

  4. #4

    Default

    Man, the entire King thing.......I would have to see it to believe it. I am not saying your lying and chances are it was a king, but after 20 years of fishing the entire Knik drainage the only kings I have hookered were by the tailrace.

  5. #5
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    well pike killing all the salmon would fit well with the rednecks (pike have been in there as long as I can remember, thats at least 10 years, my guess is there isn't much to worry about)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    There used to be a weir at the woodline. Pretty sad if you ask me, we would see many dead fish ontop of the sand bars and floating downstream. We never saw that until the weir was setup in the water. The weir would back the fish up into the flats and they had no where to go. I heard a rumor a group of people ripped it out, could be more fiction than fact. Glad to see it gone either way, but that was many years ago.

    For such a small creek the run is strong. If I had to throw out a rough estimate I would guess a few thousand reds and just as many silvers make it to the spawning grounds. You'd be surprised how far into the swamps these fish actually go.

    According to F&G pike have made their way into Jim Lake. If that is true I suspect the salmon runs will start to dwindle as the pike population increases. I've always thought Jim Creek and it's lakes are the perfect water for pike, but I would absoultely hate to see it happen with such an excellent salmon fishery. What else I find odd is we never used to catch chums in Jim Creek until a few years ago. A couple of years ago we'd see the occasional chum swimming with a school of silvers, and each year more and more showed up.
    Sorry WG but I gotta disagree with ya I've seen Kings caught there. Saw 3 caught in a few hours about 4 years ago, that was the most. Never very big ones but no denying they were Kings. Your numbers are also way low. Anglers take more silvers and reds out of there than you say the total run is. It's a long run from midjuly to mid september. I've been up and down JC during mid august at the peak and seen thousands in one day. Never seen anyone fish them but they also go up into Fall Creek and Friday Creek. I've also seen them across the Knik at Hunter Creek.

  7. #7

    Default

    What time of year are you talking about? I'd be interested in seeing one of these mythical kings Im sure they are there. I just havnt ever seen one, and only heard of people catching them on the flats. Never in the woods. I bet people didn't start catching them until the tailrace stocking program began.

    Has anyone on this board pulled a pike out of Jim Creek or any of it's lakes? I've fished the lakes, upper swamps, all the Y's and have never hooked or seen a pike. With all the spinners and spoons I have dragged through the water up there I should have caught one by now if they have been in there for 10 years. I heard that same very rumor 10 years ago. Still nothing. With all the stickle backs, juvenile salmon, and small dollies in this slow moving, thick weeded creek there will most likely be huge pike. Big pike need a lot of food.

    I have an email into F&G asking for weir counts.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    What time of year are you talking about? I'd be interested in seeing one of these mythical kings Im sure they are there. I just havnt ever seen one, and only heard of people catching them on the flats. Never in the woods. I bet people didn't start catching them until the tailrace stocking program began.
    I saw them caught right at the big dune before the woods. Not surprising if you think about it. all living things will expand and fill any niche and area that will support it. There weren't many salmon in alaska, if any, till they moved here after the last ice age

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    54

    Default Kings at Ship Creek

    (meant Jim Creek on title) Several years ago, I took a refined flyfishing friend (at least more "refined" than me) from out East to Jim Creek. We watched some beer guzzling teens shoot a multiple Kings with a shotgun! This story is no joke. I have not been back since.

    Funny thing is my friend thought this experience was one of the most unique and interesting parts of his AK trip-still talks about it.
    Last edited by shipbum; 08-06-2007 at 22:50. Reason: meant Jim creek on title

  10. #10

    Default

    Time for us to hit the Jim Creek Kings! I'll meet you there.

  11. #11

    Default Jim Creek Kings

    Wouldn't have believed unless I saw it myself, but last night 8/6 there was a King caught out of Jim Creek, I would love to say that it was caught the correct way with a rod and reel but it was caught with someones hands, chasing it down stream they caught up with it and took it. Didn't have a camera last night or I would have gotten a picture by a burned out car down there.

  12. #12

    Default

    Jim Creek is closed to fishing for king salmon. Harvesting king salmon is illegal in those waters. The harvesting of salmon, any salmon, with just your hands is also illegal. Here is the methods and means regulation defining sport fishing gear:

    Unless otherwise provided in the regulations, sport fishing may be conducted only by use of a single line attached to not more than one plug, spoon, spinner, or series of spinners, or two flies, or two hooks. The line must be closely attended.

    Any king salmon caught in the waters of Jim Creek while fishing for other species must be released immediately.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I was there that night as well. Yes the guy chased it down and caught it with his hands. The last time I saw him he was headed to his car. That kind of stuff drives me crazy. I have fished Jim Creek for years, and I have seen more enforcement this year than any other. The first Saturday of August I saw the Game Warden write at least 10 citations. I think the enforcement will be good for Jim Creek. People need to stop standing in the middle of the channel. Which has nothing do to with enforcement or kings, but that drives me nuts as well. Since July 20th I have seen 3 kings caught down there with a rod and reel. 4 counting the one with the hands.

  14. #14

    Thumbs up Thanks for that information

    Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    Jim Creek is closed to fishing for king salmon. Harvesting king salmon is illegal in those waters. The harvesting of salmon, any salmon, with just your hands is also illegal. Here is the methods and means regulation defining sport fishing gear:

    Unless otherwise provided in the regulations, sport fishing may be conducted only by use of a single line attached to not more than one plug, spoon, spinner, or series of spinners, or two flies, or two hooks. The line must be closely attended.

    Any king salmon caught in the waters of Jim Creek while fishing for other species must be released immediately.
    Thanks man. Way to ruin a nice thread.
    Oh yeah, and now that you have informed everyone, I'm sure everyone at Jim Creek will now obey all laws.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  15. #15
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Wildog

    I do not think that Akkona ruined the thread. He was stating a simple fact that what was done was illegal. Just because one person gets away with a violation does not make it right. Nor, does any number of people breaking a violation make it right.

    The laws are there for a reason. We may not always agree to that reasoning, but somewhere there has to be a decision made as to what is legal.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  16. #16
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default Kings in Jim

    I caught a jack king in late July a few years back at Jim Cr. The place was empty, we decided to toss a line in and after a short while landed a king. They are there, unfortunately the place is overun now w/too many people.
    BK

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I caught a jack king in late July a few years back at Jim Cr. The place was empty, we decided to toss a line in and after a short while landed a king. They are there, unfortunately the place is overun now w/too many people.
    BK
    Well the last 3 afternoons I've been fishing at the big dune where JC enters the woods, all alone. I sure am glad the word got out that it's too crowded and everyone is staying away.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I do not think that Akkona ruined the thread. He was stating a simple fact that what was done was illegal. Just because one person gets away with a violation does not make it right. Nor, does any number of people breaking a violation make it right.

    The laws are there for a reason. We may not always agree to that reasoning, but somewhere there has to be a decision made as to what is legal.
    Come on, every fisherman knows you can't catch kings with your hands. It was still a good story to hear about. Jim creek stories are the best. In fact for halloween last year I was a Jim Creek fisherman. I had the hair, the waders, the bad teeth, the lighter+gasoline+tow rope combination, snagging rod and treble hook, beater t-shirt, bloody lure hanging out of my back. I got the most original costume, and the funny thing is that one look and 1 out of 3 people knew that my costume was a Jim Creek fisherman.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  19. #19
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Come on, every fisherman knows you can't catch kings with your hands. It was still a good story to hear about. Jim creek stories are the best. In fact for halloween last year I was a Jim Creek fisherman. I had the hair, the waders, the bad teeth, the lighter+gasoline+tow rope combination, snagging rod and treble hook, beater t-shirt, bloody lure hanging out of my back. I got the most original costume, and the funny thing is that one look and 1 out of 3 people knew that my costume was a Jim Creek fisherman.
    Must have been a party at Ben Stevens' house. You forgot the Valley Trash hat.

    Thanks Dave, I was wanting to say the same thing.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Must have been a party at Ben Stevens' house. You forgot the Valley Trash hat.

    Thanks Dave, I was wanting to say the same thing.
    Actually I did have a backwards NRA hat on the costume... (before I get hate emails I am an NRA member myself)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •