Thread: How much ammo?

Default How much ammo?

Heres one for all of you experienced alaskans. If you are doing a 10 day combo moose and caribou float. How much ammo would or do you take along for your rifle? If you are carrying a pistol as extra incentive, how much do you carry for it?

I typically carry 10 rounds if doing a backpack hunt, 20 if going by atv because weight doesn't matter. If I were doing a combo float like you are, I'm guessing I would still take 20 rounds. I suppose if weight really isn't an issue, it couldn't hurt to take another box. Are you going to have a black bear/wolf tag in case you run across either? That might be reason enough to take another box. Really, you shouldn't need more than 10 rounds total, but over the course of 10 days it is possible that you might need to check your rifle if you bang it against rocks.

Default extra ammo

I did get a wolf tag. My wife and I are going and have 2 moose tags but was thinking about one for the possibility of taking a caribou if the chance presents itself.

Default Too Much

Two moose for one family is way too much meat! Since you are from out of state, you shold plan ahead on what you are going to do with all the meat you do not ship home. Perhaps you could save some money by getting one moose and one caribou permit. Hunt together so both can share the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Two moose for one family is way too much meat! Since you are from out of state, you shold plan ahead on what you are going to do with all the meat you do not ship home.
    While Patrick is certainly right that two moose is way more meat than any family needs, there are needs that need to be filled this year with Alaska National Guard soldiers from all over the state deployed to Iraq. The Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is teaming up with this site and the Alaska National Guard to get game meat to families of deployed soldiers in need. Take a look at this thread for more info on how you can donate meat to this great cause if you happen to be successful on two moose or a moose and a caribou.

Default Too much meat

If you noticed I had already posted when the thread first started about military families and that there are plans for the donations. I am a retired Marine and looking out for military families is a big priority with me and my wife who also is a former Marine. The reason for the 2 moose tags is we are not sure who will shoot what. We wanted to play by the rules and since its my understanding that a upper tag may be used for a lesser animal we paid the extra money so that either one of us could shoot a moose and then the other could take a caribou or maybe a black bear. Thanks for the concern though

Default How much ammo?

I believe that if your weapon is properly sighted in and you are a good practiced shot at taking animals at 200+ yards you will use a minimal amount of rounds when hunting caribou and moose. I take 2 boxes with me when I hunt, 1 box of 130 grain and another of 150ís (Caribou vs. Moose). I would hate like hell to find myself out of ammo though! That would stink!

Last year a buddy of mine did not re-sight in his weapon after flying up from Denver. The trip had knocked it off a bit and he missed his first 2 shots. I always tell everyone to plan on a few practice shots after arriving in Alaska just to confirm that the weapon is 100% ready to do the job.

Good luck in your pursuit of game this fall guy!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Your in Alaska to hunt and enjoy the experience. Not having enough ammo for a hunter is like a photographer not having enough film. I go with two boxes for my rifle and an extra 10 rounds for my 44. I split the boxes up so if one goes missing both are not gone. IE. boat rolls ect. I have never used all the ammo I took in but have seen guys that wished they had brought more. you never know what is going to happen and better to be prepared than not. Just my openion.

Carry enough ammo to fire a 3 round distress twice.

What it will take for you to survive (with six rounds left over) no one knows. But, if my pack weight was a choice between an extra bottle of water and extircation, I'd err for the gunpowpder and leave the water to the swamps/lakes/streams/rivers.

The bottom line is to go what YOU feel confident with, and, be willing to accept the folly of your decision... then add 6.

I'm not sure I agree that two moose is too much meat for a family, I have 12 people in my immediate family in Alaska. That doesn't include my parents, brothers and sister that live in the lower 48 that I ship meat to. It all depends on the size of the family.

Now to get back on subject I like to keep a box of 20 on hand just in case, but weight isn't much of a concern for me. It also helps that my hunting partner and I both use the same caliber. I'd say go with whatever you are comfortable with that doesn't add more weight then you are willing to carry.
    Chris Willhoite

Default Ammo Question

I always tell my hunters to bring two boxes, identical ammunition in each, the same serial number on each.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default I would say at least

I would say at least one box split into two bags ( for safety ) I was hunting with my Hunting partner last winter, and he shot a moose, his first shot missed his second shot was dead on only missed the heart by 1 inch. But the moose did not fall, and started walking into swamp. he fired three more rounds trying to stop it, two connected, both through the chest. When I caught up he was out of ammo, and the moose was still standing. Because we were close, and didn't want the moose to suffer, I put three rounds into the head before it fell, all three were lethal, and in a three in. group. It turns out the the legs were locked and in really deep snow holding the moose upright. It was litterally dead on its feet!

Before anyone disects this, the rifles were accurate and sighted, the ammo was all the same, the first shot was a kill shot, but we did not want to try and get the moose out of swamp and black spruce lugging uphill in twenty below, and I once tracked a moose overnight after I thought I had made a good shot, and I will never let that happen again ( I don't like to see any animal suffer )

The point is it took eight rounds for the one moose and we were after two. It ussually only takes one or two, but there are exeptions, and I will never be caught without ammo.

p.s. Semper Fi. from one Marine to another