Thread: Mobil Delvac 1 in Honda motors

Default Mobil Delvac 1 in Honda motors

I have 2 Honda 4 wheelers a lawnmower and generator. Everything is well broke in. What about using Mobil Delvac Syn 1 in these Hondas? Please give me your thoughts. Thanks

Delvac 1 is for diesels...I would just get the synthetic mobil 1 in the weight required.

Make sure it is not "energy conserving". Honda states that that it is not good for the trannies on thier four wheelers.
    Dave

Thumbs up Syth Oil

In my ATV the clutch does not shift correctly with Syth Oil.....I use Mobile 5000 10-30.
    Alaska

Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 (blue container, not white), $13 / gallon at Wal-Mart.

More info here http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

alot of people that put in motor oil for cars have tranny problems, why? beacuase your cranckcase oil is also your tranny oil. the brand dont matter its the fact that alot of non atv oils dont have the correct, if any "friction modifiers" its what allows the clutch the engauge/disengauge properly. i know when i was wrenching we would not warranty an atv that had vehicle oil in it, as it wouldnt lube the parts properly and would grind down gears.

Be cautious about what oil to use. For example, my 1994 Big Bear has a foot shifter, and the transmission uses what some call "wet clutches," which is just having the clutch disks immersed in oil. Modern motorcycles use similar transmission designs. You don't want to use an oil that will provide so much anti-friction additives that would make the disks slip. What you want is an oil that lubricates the motor while allowing the disks (or clutches) to grab instead of slip. According to the manual, I can use regular automobile oils on my Big Bear as long as these meet Yamaha's API Service requirements.

Motorcycles and ATV's (like mine) work best with the use of non-friction modified oils. Since a quart of Yamahalube 20W-50 costs $5.00 locally, I have been using motorcycle oil that have the same specifications required by Yamaha. These oils are not cheap, but at $3.00 per quart are much cheaper than Yamaha's lube.

Look at the manual for each ATV and generator, and see what types of oils are recommended. If the API Service is the same as the one required by Honda, it should work, as long as the oil is designed with the additives needed for your machine. If the ATV or generator are new, then I would be very careful not to void their warranties.

Like akflyfisher said don't use any motor oil that says "energy conserving" if it doesn't say that ANY motor oil used in trucks and cars is fine for use with atv wet clutches. Don't use syn in an atv until it is WELL broken in unless that said atv came from the factory with syn. Be advised that syn gear oil will sometimes also cause seals to leak, which will stop leaking when regular gear oil is placed back in the diffs (personal experience)

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Like akflyfisher said don't use any motor oil that says "energy conserving" if it doesn't say that ANY motor oil used in trucks and cars is fine for use with atv wet clutches. Don't use syn in an atv until it is WELL broken in unless that said atv came from the factory with syn. Be advised that syn gear oil will sometimes also cause seals to leak, which will stop leaking when regular gear oil is placed back in the diffs (personal experience)
    Good advise. I was told the same thing by an ATV mechanic I know. He told me that he prefers regular ATV oils, or a synthetic/non-synthetic blend designed for ATV's. He told me that regular ATV oils seem to offer more protection relating to corrosion in the even that some water reaches the oil in the motor, or in a gear case. I don't really know what he was trying to tell me, but I believed what he had to say.