Thread: Fishing Chena Lakes

Default Fishing Chena Lakes

Has anyone fished Chena Lakes? Supposedly they are stocked with silver Salmon and trout. I'm looking for a place for my 8 yr old to learn and my adult cousin to maybe catch somthing new. Thanks, Rob

Default Island in the middle...

Rob,

Great question.
    The best place, from my experience, to fish on Chena Lakes is in the middle where the island is located at.
    You will either need to rent or have a canoe, kayak, or raft that is non-motorized to get out there.
    Usually, there are 2 currents that are going in either direction of the island and we have caught trout in that area.
    There are little trout that are shoreside, but they are smaller fish and usually don't bite well.
    What we use is the usual, normal night crawlers.

If you are wanting to find a good place for your 8 year old to fish, a good suggestion would be Bellaine Lake which is over by Farmers Loop. They eat both flies and worms there... but salmon eggs are a bust for both places.

I hope that helps.
    COtoAK
    Lurker.

Thanks. We'll see how the weather is in the morning. I am also toying with the idea of driving down to Salcha, since the Chum run should be on, but I have not seen any posts on that area and the count is several days behind as usual....

Darn... if your thread was posted earlier, I would have suggested that you pay a little visit to Sportsmans Warehouse because they always have what's catching what with what bait.
    Well, if you are going out to the Salcha River, you might want to try Moose Creek, too.
    Oh... and by the way, there are slugs and leeches in Chena Lakes. They always give me, well... the willies. (I am absolutely hands down grossed out by those things)
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Darn... if your thread was posted earlier, I would have suggested that you pay a little visit to Sportsmans Warehouse because they always have what's catching what with what bait.
    Sportsmans Warehouse? Fishing report? Ok if you say so. I personnally would not rely on that resource.

If you want a reliable source..get a copy of the The Highway Angler.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Well I didn't go to the Chena Lakes today, I went instead to Salcha River. Nobody else was there which was my fist clue I wasn't going to be happy. Eggs, Mepps, Wiggle Warts.... Nada, nothing, zippo. We did stop by Sportsmans after a Lowes run, and their info is way out of date. They claim the Kings are running hot on the Chena. LOL A little dated. In fact, were they ever hot on the Chena? LOL Maybe I'll try the lakes tomorrow.

That stinks.
    It's rainy for fishing, but if you could handle the cold for it... then more encouragement for you.
    We would go fishing, too, but our time for the next 2 weeks before school starts is dedicated elsewhere.
    Maybe once school starts, we should be able to do some fishing after that but before Labor Day.
    ...and then...
    ICE FISHING ON CHENA LAKES!!!!
    Lurker.

Default Chena Fishing

Anyone know where the Char and Bows went this year? I live on the lake and this years stock is the smallest I have seen yet. I am of the opinion that the bigger fish are just munching them left and right and aren't interested in anything else. I have not been able to temp any of the bigger fish this year. I haven't tried to much though. Back to the original question: I have had most luck across the lake from the beach in years past. I prefer an orange spoon with black dots. I have worn the paint off of 2-3 of those over the years. Most bang for kids have been mosquito flies with casting bobber or shrimp/bobber. I have caught and seen others catch over 20 inch char and bows in the lake. Anyone try trolling (rowing of course) any bait fish paterns?

We went to the lakes on Wed around noon - late I know.... Used worms and caught a bunch of small Lake trout - which was perfect for my son. I attempted to catch salmon on roe, but I couldn't cast out past the weeds. Nothing bit on the eggs. It was a beautiful day and perfect for our needs. I did cast a small Mepps for a while, but it kept fouling on the weeds so I gave up on it quickly. Thanks, Rob