Thread: Nancy Lakes

Default Nancy Lakes

Anyone ever small game hunt Nancy Lakes area? I'll be up there with the family opening weekend. Would love to get info. on the area. I've been there numerous times family camping, but never hunting. Looking for grouse/hare info. Thanks!

Talking

Good Numbers Of Spruce Hens In That Area,but Lots Of People And Cabins Or Houses.I Would Not Feel Comfortable Shooting Around The Road System,even With A Bow.I Have Killed Alot Of Grouse With My Bow Off Nancy Lake Pkwy In The Past But It Has Been A Few Years ,that Road Might Even Be Paved Now,also I Have Seen Quite A Few Grouse Early In The Morning On The Trail To Red Shirt Lake But Check The Regs I Think You Can Still Bow Hunt In That Area But I Am Not Sure. Good Luck.

Checking the regs sounds like a good idea. Sure seems like there is a sign on the Parkway that says no discharge of firearms inside of NLSRA.

theres some grouse around there, not much for hares I dont think. It is open to bowhunting only, so plan on bringing the archery gear and Your cert card.

We used to hunt back there with slingshots and lead balls.I wasnt much good with sling but my buddy did good.Just make sure you watch out for the militant dike that camps at south rolly campground,she disaproves of hunting.Not sure if she's still camping there late in the fall,but when we were there she left a note on the seat IN my van.Thats right,IN my van stating she didnt approve of me teaching my son to hunt.When we left the campground I was pretty pissed ,so i let my buddy take the note to her campfire and throw it there right in front of her.She had nothing to say...

Default Hunting in the park.

I have been hunting that area for the past 10 years. I have had several run ins with the park people (non were good). Long story short, they dislike hunting and they think they own the joint. As for the regs in the area they are as follows. It's a no firearms area so you don't need to posses a bow cert to hunt there. Also you are not allowed to hunt within a 1/4 mile of a parking area or campground (this is a rule the park boys dreamt up so not to sure if the troopers would enforce it). Also you are not allowed to use an air rifle, despite the fact it's not a firearm ( the main issue I argue with them). Ok I won't rant anymore. Now lets talk hunting. The grouse hunting is bar none the best in the area!!! Also there is quite a few ruffed grouse. Any more info you need I would be glad to help. Also the road is paved so it kind of reduced the number of grouse you will see on the road.

In the old days, we hunted Nancy Lake Parkway, and other areas off limits to firearms with wrist rockets. Not only did the park employees give us permission to do this, but occasionally they would be out there along with us after seeing how productive we were.

The ideal slingshot is a basic Marksman with RED bands. These are tapered and give a bit more velocity.

Ammuntion: After experimenting with steelies, marbles, and rocks, we recognized that the birds were just a lot tougher than they look. It happened, that when I was hunting deer in Juneau and wanted to have a quiet grouse getter, that I switched over to .50 cal roundballs. I easily took down every blue I shot that year and, since they are a lot larger than spruce grouse, I knew I found "the key."

If you have a slingshot, and can consistently hit a Coke can from 20 yards with .495 - .540 roundballs, you will easily take down spruce grouse in almost any setting.

Obviously things have changed quite a bit regarding the park employees and road since I last hunted there. But, the ditches on either side of the street are loaded with clover. Watch down in those grasses. If you see one, you'll see several!

Also, the trail to Redshirt often produced .... as well as the gravel pit type area behind that.

Look for rubs in the banks where they come down to dust bath too!

Oh, and don't shoot yourself. I've heard that it is quite painful.

Don't shoot yourself! I've heard that it hurts quite a bit.

..and, don't shoot yourself!!