Thread: Eklutna Tailrace (murky water) and spinners

Default Eklutna Tailrace (murky water) and spinners

Stopped to check out the Eklutna tailrace yesterday on the way back from fishing. Noticed most folks were fishing with eggs and the water was very murky (glacial). Is it possible to catch fish out of this murky water with spinners? I suppose the visibility is next to nothing and not sure if the fish would be able to see the spinners. Planning to take the kids fishing here one of these evenings, but not sure if we need to get some eggs or just use our spinners.

Thanks

yes

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Tailrace

I catch them all the time on Vibraz in both the main river and the Tailrace itself. I do better in the main river.

Vibraz = Vibrax.....

I went to the tailrace yesterday. I did not fish as I was on my way back from Anchorage. I saw people using corkeys and yarn and were not catching much. In normal water conditions I use pixies but when it is that murky an orange or red vibrax or eggs is the way to go. I used to fish jim creek before I got my boat and in murky water I used eggs and a bobber with very good success.
    Good luck and good fishing

Tried it out today. Saw a lot of people catching silvers at the mouth. Most were floating eggs. I was about 40 yards from the mouth and no action. Up where I was I saw one guy catch a silver on a spinner and another lady using eggs on bottom got a nice silver tangled in her line and got it on shore. Nobody further from the mouth caught any fish. Seemed like most folks were catching out of the river rather than the tailrace. Lots of people and only a small percentage were catching. Looked like you had to muscle your way in, but with 2 small kids it wasn't possible. Not the way I like to fish anway. Too much second hand smoke.

Default Eklutna

Jim Creek
    Its worth the time to drive a little further up the road if your vehicle will allow.

I find the fishing at the tailrace to be best in the morning. 5 am to 8 am. I like to use vibrax up by the walk bridge.

Went to trailrace yesterday -- fished below the crowd on the slough/river area and caught two around 8:00 pm. I was drifting eggs in a slower seam. Dropped by today in the afternoon, but it looked like to had slowed down because of the sun. There was a bunch of moldy king floating down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Anyone have any news

Has anyone been down there this week? How is the fishing?

Am thinking of going down on Saturday.

Thanks,
    Nathan

was down there last night. lots of fish but no action. They just wouldn't bite with that bright sun on the water.

i went down last night for a look - didn't see too many people catching fish.

Default Latest Report

Went down there this morning and caught my 3 fish in about 3 hours. They were pretty small though but still they will be good eating. I did get alot of bites but I was having a hard time setting the hook. Caught about 10 small dollys that keep on stealing my bait. The biggest was about 10 to 11 inches.

Nathan

Default Eklutna Update

We stopped by the tailrace Sunday (8/19) just to let the kids wet a line. Four of us caught two silvers each, in the 6-7lb. range, within one hour. Most were bright silver, with a couple just starting to show a little color. All were caught on #5 Vibrax in either orange or yellow variations. The folks using eggs weren't catching much of anything. Overcast sky with sprinkles.

I've been there off and on after work this week. Its been pretty much dead quiet. there are some fish that run in once in a while (chrome) but those are few and far between. there are a lot of dark fish in there too. some people get into a good school of fish and will hookup for a while, but then it slows down.

It is far from hot there - same with ship creek - quiet. maybe some new fish have moved into the places within the last day, but I don't think so.

If it were me I'd try fish creek or rabbit slough on the weekend - I hear there are fish in there.

Was there thursday lots of rollers but no one was catching any thing. Tried eggs and spinners.