Thread: Fairbanks Taxidermist?

Default Fairbanks Taxidermist?

I was reading the posts and suggestions about getting a sheep back the the lower 48. I really can't see leaving a moose there to get mounted and then trying to get it shipped back. The cost and the possibilities of damage seem rather large. I saw the suggestion of having a local taxidermist tanning the pelt and then getting that shipped back. That sounds like the best idea all the way around. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the matter and some solid recommendations with contact info of a high quality taxidermist in the Fairbanks area. They say that you have to plan for success so maybe this will help me get my first moose God willing. Thanks

Most local taxidermist dont tan their own hides they ship our hides to the lower 48 in batches and then ship em back up here after they are tanned. You probably could heavily salt the hide and take it back with you rather than tanning it and then shipping it down to you. Thats what I'd do and I learned that from my taxidermist up here. If you dont plan on doing something with your hide right away, flesh the you know what out of it and salt the you know what out of it it can always be rehydrated for the tanning process.

Talking are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Most local taxidermist dont tan their own hides they ship our hides to the lower 48 in batches and then ship em back up here after they are tanned. You probably could heavily salt the hide and take it back with you rather than tanning it and then shipping it down to you. Thats what I'd do and I learned that from my taxidermist up here. If you dont plan on doing something with your hide right away, flesh the you know what out of it and salt the you know what out of it it can always be rehydrated for the tanning process.
    That would surprise me that your local taxidermists ship hides to the lower 48...not saying that some don't, but the cost is outrageous. There's a good tannery in Fairbanks and at least a couple in Anchorage, so it wouldn't make sense to pay high shipping costs both ways. I wish the shipping costs were lower because I'd ship my hides to Alaska to get tanned, but it's not cost effective. But I still have my clients leave their hides up their whenever possible to get tanned and then have them shipped back to them or me. Anything that I personally harvest and want to mount, will do the same. One less hasslt to mess with and worry about at the end of one's trip.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

If you dont have pull at the Fairbanks Tannery it can take a year to get your hide back. My buddy dropped off a black bear with them and didn't get it back for 16 months! Taxidermist cant wait that long. My taxi sent my boys hide and a couple dozen others off to the lower 48 to be tanned and got them all back in less than 60 days. You add up the cheaper tanning fee from the lower 48 x 24 or 30 hides and shipping is nothing.

Whats the hassle and worry in properly fleshing your hide while your still in the field and then salting it, thats what most hunters do. Most guided or outfitted hunters arent near the road system and theres lots of idle time before pick up and returning to town. Once its dried from the salt all you do is fold it up and put it in a bag and it'll last for decades like that.

I'm a nobody without any pull and the last four bears I had tanned in Fairbanks took less then 6 months. One of the bears I had back inless then a month

Default Fairbanks tannery

I would suggest looking some where else. Most of the local taxis do ship to lower 48. I think that says enough. I always ask to make sure its not going to tannery here. Hillbilly

If you need a suggestion on a local taxi, let me know by PMing me.
    I am not sure what he does, but I know that his daughter planned her wedding around hunting season in respect of his taxi business.
    He's in the Salcha area if you are interested. He's worth the drive, too.
    Your best bet is to find a couple of taxis in the area, get some recommendations, and then decide on what exactly you would want to do.
    Overall, though... in our area I have seen most taxis send down to the lower 48 for tanning as well.
    Lurker.

Default Wet or dry

I hope you know there are two taxidermy methods that are widley used.One is where you tan the hide the other is not tanned per se.
    Most do not know the difference or do they ask