Thread: 416 Weatherby and 350gr TSX

Default 416 Weatherby and 350gr TSX

Well finally I finished my test and here is what happened. I started working on loads last night around 10:00PM til early in the morning and setting up my rifle taking off the Zeiss and putting on my new Leupold and bore sighting til early in the morning. Went to bed and got a few hours sleep them went to the range today and accomplished the following. Using MRP and RL-22 which were the final powders to test against each other since they both earlier this week produce good velocities and accuracy. My Mark V 416 Weatherby Magnum with Accubrake and its best group came when I was - Using 120grs RL-22. I had no max signs and base of brass expansion after fired measured less than .0004 and there were no shinny marks on bottom of the brass and no flattened primers. Please do not use my load unless you work up to it because I have a cool lot of RL-22 and your lot could be as much as 10% hotter than mine. My average velocity is 2930fps, shooting .625" at 100yds. The 350gr TSX is outstanding. My OAL was 3.750" I have put a Leupold VX III 2.5-8x36mm with Wide Duplex for acquiring my target faster and it really is a nice scope with sharp picture and tracked well even after the recoil of the 416. Here are my load ballistics.

Muzzle 2930fps - eng. 6671 pounds
    2750fps +3 1/2" 100yds - eng. 5876 pounds
    2577fps +4.04" 200yds - eng. 5161 pounds
    2410fps - .73" 300yds - eng. 4516 pounds
    2250fps -11.5" 400yds - eng. 3935 pounds
    2096fps -29.3" 500yds - eng. 3414 pounds
    1948fps -54.6" 600yds - eng. 2950 pounds

I can hit out to about 370 then hold cross hair on top of shoulder and hit out to 430 to 450 on deer and elk size game and a little further on moose. Will work real well on big bear. Now this does not mean I will get the chance to make a long shot, nor take one unless I am sure of my shot and will not take a real long shot on dangerous game. I will practice at long range to get use to it and make sure that my ballistic calculations are close to right . But this will be devastating up close or far off. What ever it hits it will be dead. This 416WBY completes my trio of Weatherbys. I have a 257WBY, a 300WBY and now the 416WBY. The 257WBY I named "Nancy Jean" (my wife), because the 257WBY does not hit me back when I pull the trigger and it has fine lines and shoots straight. I named the 300WBY "Thors Hammer" because of the 180gr TSX that moves out at 3287fps and hits with authority. I named the 416WBY "Odin", Odin was the father of Thor in viking myth and Odin was brave and would face the enemy up close and not run, delivering a deadly blow. I am really excited about this load and its potential. This has truly been fun. The Accubrake made the 416 feel like a 300WBY that has no brake. It was easy to shoot and reload for.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will go out again the end of this coming week to tweak my sight-in for my load and shoot through the chrno again so I will have more data than a three shot group to average my "fps" and "deviation of velocity spread." This will help me calculate what to possibly expect when I start to practice on long shots. The accubrake makes the 416 feel like a 220gr load in a 300WBY with no brake, but that is not bad considering the power and the mass of bullet I am sending down range. What amazed me is that the 416WBY has as much energy at 600 as most 06 loads at muzzle. Wow!! what a cartridge and rifle. This rifle makes you feel like you can face anything any where. You should hear the thud when it hits the dirt behind the 100yd target. BigHorn is right, this was the right cartridge to complete my trio. How do I feel holding and shooting a 416WBY? Like this
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey guys, you know it is not bad for a big cartridge not to kick any more than the 300WBY with a 220gr bullet and have a Taylor Knock-out value of 146.5
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

257WBY, 300WBY, 416WBY

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A mighty handsome trio you have there!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

You know Murphy, you are truly a gentleman. You don't allow your rifle or cartridge preference to keep you from encouraging a person or helping out. I truly respect you for that. For some reason not many if any will post a comment on much I right and that can and certainly is in some cases due to me, but it sure is kind of you to still make comments and answer any questions. If I ever have the opportunity in this life to meet you face to face I certainly will shake your hand. And more than that I count you as a friend. Yours Truly Beartooth

Thanks for the kind words but don't let that get out.

I realize that many of our choices in caliber and guns have very special reasons attached not the least of which is the warm fuzzy feelings we get from them. Reasons for the selection matter very little, it's the enjoyment of the hobby that adds enrichment to the ownership of such a fine piece of artwork. You are a true believer and dedicated to the task. It is obvious you get great pleasure from this hobby. This is a good thing!
    Last edited by Murphy; 08-08-2007 at 14:06.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS