Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: .325 WSM info

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    564

    Default .325 WSM info

    I just picked up a kimber montana in .325 WSM. OTher than winchester is there any available factory ammo? Also what kind of expereinces have you all had with this round.

    I haven't shot it yet but I'm pretty impressed with the handling and light weight of the rifle. My one buddy has killed 3 moose, 1 brown bear, and a real big blackie with his. He shot all his with the 220gr PP loading and has always got an exit.

    thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    I handled one this afternoon (325SM) and just about brought it home, they are fine feeling rifles!
    I was very impressed with the smooth action.
    No doubt you made a good choice.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    If you do a search you will find lots of info here. I have posted quite a bit. The winchester is the only factoy ammo. Mine shoots the 200gr Accubonds VERY well. My buddy and I each shot our rams with it last year. Mine was about 400yds, his about 200. I shot a Bull Moose at about 350+. Hit him in the spine, dropped him, recovered the bullet. 140gr if I remember right. I posted a thread on it with a pic.

    I was at the range today. Sub moa at 100yds, 2.5 or so inches high. and I put two side by side sub moa point blank at 300yds. Hopefully I'll put one in a Ram next week!

    The light Kimber 325 has some "torquey" muzzle flip but I had mine Mag-na-ported this winter and that took care of it. I can shoot the gun off a rest and the muzzle does not jump at all. I shot 17 rounds today wearing a t-shirt and felt/feel no discomfort at all. I don't even know I shot today. No way I could feel like this shooting my old wood blue ruger 30-06.

    Enjoy your Kimber 325. It's a fine rifle.

    EDIT: Link to Accubond pic http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...3&postcount=18

    link about mag-na-port first impressions: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=kimber
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Took it out and shot it today. Shooting over a rolled up jacket on a rough bench it was shooting consistantly 2 shots touching and the third about an inch away. Not too bad for the first 11 shots out of the rifle. I was shooting the 220 PP loading. Recoil wasn't bad but muzzle did jump a bit as snyd mentioned, might have to look into magnaport this winter too. Overall I think this will serve me well.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    Took it out and shot it today. Shooting over a rolled up jacket on a rough bench it was shooting consistantly 2 shots touching and the third about an inch away. Not too bad for the first 11 shots out of the rifle. I was shooting the 220 PP loading. Recoil wasn't bad but muzzle did jump a bit as snyd mentioned, might have to look into magnaport this winter too. Overall I think this will serve me well.
    If you are in the Fairbanks area it would be fun to shoot our guns side by side with the same ammo to compare with and without mag-na-port.

    Mag-na-Port is great to deal with. You just mail them your barrel and tell them what you want. When it's done they call you, pay em and they mail it back. I think they had my barrel for about a week was all. Cost me $135.00 probably $150 by the time I paid for shipping. I am happy I had it done and judging by my last trip to the range it did not effect accuracy at all.

    When I was at the range two guys were next to me getting ready for sheep hunting next week also. They were shooting lightweight remingtons, 308's with some handloads they worked up. The one guy ended up settling on the 150gr loads which had a drop of about 12 inches at 300 yards. I don't know all the other details about how he sighted it in but it feels good to know I can sling a 200gr 8mm bullet out of my 7lb rifle and be point blank out at 300ys. I like this little Kimber 325.

    Later this month I'll try out some 220gr gamekings I just loaded up. I'm a newbie to reloading and these will be my first handloads for the 325. Using up my factory loads for this sheep hunt.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  6. #6
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    "150gr loads which had a drop of about 12 inches at 300 yards"

    seems like a lot - must have had it zeroed for 100 yds or maybe was misreading the ballistic charts?

  7. #7

    Default

    From a Guns and Ammo article.

    Trajectory (inches) 180-gr. BST -0.9 +1.7 0 -7.0 -20.1 200-gr. AB-CT -0.9 +1.9 0 -7.3 -21.0 220-gr. PP -0.9 +2.0 0 -7.7 -21.8

  8. #8

    Default

    Sorry table didn't post, we will try it again.

    180 Grain BST @ 3,060 fps


    100 yds 200yds 300yds 400yds

    +1.7", 0, -7.0", -20.1"
    Last edited by Mark R.; 08-06-2007 at 11:24. Reason: chart not posting right

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    "150gr loads which had a drop of about 12 inches at 300 yards"

    seems like a lot - must have had it zeroed for 100 yds or maybe was misreading the ballistic charts?
    Ya, I was kind of surprised myself. I was talking with him and looking at the target and bullet hole with my scope. I didn't measure it with a ruler I'm just guesstimating but it was quite a bit of drop I thought. Off the target down onto the cardboard. I always thought the rule of thumb was that you could sight most any 30 cal 2 or 3 inches high at 100 and be pretty much point blank out to 300.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
    Sorry table didn't post, we will try it again.

    180 Grain BST @ 3,060 fps


    100 yds 200yds 300yds 400yds

    +1.7", 0, -7.0", -20.1"

    Keep in mind these trajectory numbers are based on a specific and as yet unspecified sight height. Generally with a scope it is about 1.5" but can very with the scope used, the shooter and the stock. Any difference between your rifle and the test rifle will be multiplied at distance. Your trajectory may vary. Also for a 200 yard zero, the maximum height above the bore is not at 100 yrds.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage,AK/ Omaha,NE
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I just picked up a kimber montana in .325 WSM. OTher than winchester is there any available factory ammo? Also what kind of expereinces have you all had with this round.

    I haven't shot it yet but I'm pretty impressed with the handling and light weight of the rifle. My one buddy has killed 3 moose, 1 brown bear, and a real big blackie with his. He shot all his with the 220gr PP loading and has always got an exit.

    thanks
    The 3 different Winchester loads will probably be the only factory loads for some time.Federal Ammunition doesnt plan on loading anything due to the release of theor 338 Federal.

    I had a 325WSM in a Browning A-Bolt that I actually just sold this weekend.The reasoning behind that was not enough good bullet choices available for 8mm's. I handload and was not still not impressed with most of the choices.I did find a couple good loads,one being the 200gr Barnes TSX and IMR 4831 (dont remember exactly the charge) and the Nosler 180gr B-Tip over the same powder.I tried the Sierra 220gr Gamekings and was not impressed at all.I may have gotten a bad box,but the bullets were very rough and porous like they were not polished or cleaned up,and they also didnt group worth a darn.I tried 3 different powders,different primers,different OAL's and couldnt get anything consistent.The one bullet that I wanted to try the most was the 220gr Swift A-Frame and they will not be made until this winter sometime (per a Swift employee that I talked to on the phone).

    I also was very weery of the muzzle jump.Mine jumped 6 to 8 inches off of the bag very time.It didnt have much recoil but the muzzle jump was enough to tick me off.Having to completely reset my rests after each shot.I really think that if there would've had been some bullets available and I got the muzzle jump tamed a bit I would not have sold it.I did like the fact that they come in shorter,lighter rifles with out the 24"+ long barrel that most 338's have.Oh well,it was still fun to tinker with it.

    Tim

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    The reasoning behind that was not enough good bullet choices available for 8mm's. I handload and was not still not impressed with most of the choices.Tim
    Funny, as I have been quite impressed with the amount of bullet choices I have found. I could go with a light load all the way down to a 125 gr speer bullet in 8mm, making this caliber an ideal choice for much of the game here in Alaska. I am also super impressed with the fact that at 500 yds, I can still be pushing 2000+ ft. lbs of energy downrange. I didn't get the supercalifragilisticexpealidocious special kimber, a savage instead, however, still sub moa out of the box, and moa at 300 meters accuracy. I would have no hesitation at taking a 500 yd shot with this rifle and caliber.

    I would not be surprised at all to see this cartridge rapidly replacing the old stand-by 338 wm cartridge as the 'alaskan' round.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    564

    Default

    I think the bullet selection is pretty good considering the intention of this rifle. 180-250gr bullets suitable for any alaskan big game. With bullets like the 200gr TSX, 200gr accubond, 200 and 220 Swift Aframe, and 200 and 220 Woodliegh weldcore bullets there should be ample selection of big game worthy bullets.

    I don't think the 325 winchester is any better of worse than the old standby 300 win and 338 win. I think all three will work pretty equally. It was the handling characteristics of the Kimber that really attracted me to this caliber. Accurate, light, handy, and ample power for general big game hunting.




  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage,AK/ Omaha,NE
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Funny, as I have been quite impressed with the amount of bullet choices I have found. I could go with a light load all the way down to a 125 gr speer bullet in 8mm, making this caliber an ideal choice for much of the game here in Alaska. I am also super impressed with the fact that at 500 yds, I can still be pushing 2000+ ft. lbs of energy downrange. I didn't get the supercalifragilisticexpealidocious special kimber, a savage instead, however, still sub moa out of the box, and moa at 300 meters accuracy. I would have no hesitation at taking a 500 yd shot with this rifle and caliber.

    I would not be surprised at all to see this cartridge rapidly replacing the old stand-by 338 wm cartridge as the 'alaskan' round.
    I was not talking about the weight range of 8mm bullets,but the actual bullets themselves.The only quality ones I really liked (just my opinion) were the 200gr Partition,200gr Accubond (which I am still leary of),200gr TSX,the 200 & 220gr Swift A-Frame,and if I had too the 180gr B-Tip.Everything else was made for the 8mm Mag and not really suited for the 325.If Nosler made a 220gr Partition I would have never sold the gun,I actually have had second thoughts about buying it back.Nothing wrong with the caliber at all,that is why I initially bought it (bigger then a 300 and less recoil then a 338).

    Tim

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Funny, as I have been quite impressed with the amount of bullet choices I have found. I could go with a light load all the way down to a 125 gr speer bullet in 8mm, making this caliber an ideal choice for much of the game here in Alaska. I am also super impressed with the fact that at 500 yds, I can still be pushing 2000+ ft. lbs of energy downrange. I didn't get the supercalifragilisticexpealidocious special kimber, a savage instead, however, still sub moa out of the box, and moa at 300 meters accuracy. I would have no hesitation at taking a 500 yd shot with this rifle and caliber.

    I would not be surprised at all to see this cartridge rapidly replacing the old stand-by 338 wm cartridge as the 'alaskan' round.
    Well, in my humble opinion, a 125-grain Speer bullet is just too fragile for hunting game such as moose, bison, elk, and bears. It would expand too fast when hitting such game within 150 yards if launched at the speed you have mentioned. Woodleigh makes a 250-grain bullet for the .325, and it can be launched around 2,600 fps at the muzzle.

  16. #16

    Default 250gr.?

    I would love to try a 250 gr. solid out of a 325 but me thinks it would be a bit slow.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    I would love to try a 250 gr. solid out of a 325 but me thinks it would be a bit slow.
    Do you mean slow as it would need to be clocked with a sundial rather than a chronograph? What's wrong with slow? It will be faster than a 150 grain 30-30. I would think a 250 grain solid at 2400 fps would do everything you could ask a solid of that dimension to do. No the trajectory would not match the 180's but just adjust to it. I don't really see a need for a solid bullet in a rifle of that size but it's interesting.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I think the bullet selection is pretty good considering the intention of this rifle. 180-250gr bullets suitable for any alaskan big game. With bullets like the 200gr TSX, 200gr accubond, 200 and 220 Swift Aframe, and 200 and 220 Woodliegh weldcore bullets there should be ample selection of big game worthy bullets.

    I don't think the 325 winchester is any better of worse than the old standby 300 win and 338 win. I think all three will work pretty equally. It was the handling characteristics of the Kimber that really attracted me to this caliber. Accurate, light, handy, and ample power for general big game hunting.




    Very nice rifle ther T-bear.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    ....Everything else was made for the 8mm Mag and not really suited for the 325....
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. They are a .323 bullet. From what I've read about the 8mm mag it's balistics are close to the 325. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember 220's lauched out of an 8mm at about 2700-2800 fps. 200gr 2900-3000 fps. That's within 100 or so fps of the 325. I would think that bullets made specifically for the 8mm mag would be just right for the 325.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. They are a .323 bullet. From what I've read about the 8mm mag it's balistics are close to the 325. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember 220's lauched out of an 8mm at about 2700-2800 fps. 200gr 2900-3000 fps. That's within 100 or so fps of the 325. I would think that bullets made specifically for the 8mm mag would be just right for the 325.
    It's the other way around: the .325 os somewhere around 100 to 150 fps of the 8 mm. magnum. The 8 is faster because it holds more powder, but you are correct about the bullets being the same.

    In the September issue of rifle, there is an article written by John Barsness where the .325 WSM was used for African game. The ammo was the 220-grain Power Point-factory load, and the bullet was not penetrating enough to rapidly kill a zebra, and then an ostrich. The author does not give exact details on this ammo, but keep that in mind. I hope that he can expand, at a later date, on the trouble they had with the bullet not penetrating. Now, the .325 should do just fine with an A-Frame, TSX, or another tough bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •