Thread: Blueticks in Alaska

Default Blueticks in Alaska

I have American Blue Gascon Hounds. The old time Big-n-Blue Blueticks. They go from 75-125 pounds. How do you think they would fare in Alaska's climate? I am also very interested in how you care for dogs in Alaska and do you supplement their feed because of the cold? Also what type of housing you use. I realize these are not questions about dog mushing and more in line with dog care and maintenance so I appoligize in advance. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

lots of variety of dogs live up here so without knowing much more I'd say they'd do fine. I suspect you are concerned about the cold, and not knowing where you intend to live, all I can say is watch them and bring them in when its time. There are adaptive devices for the dog like insulated coats, booties and the like which you can use to extend their time outside.

Many folks crate them indoors during the day, work them when they get home after a day of work. Some folks give their dogs the run of the house and provide a doggie door so they can get out during the day.

As for food, well I add a table spoon of fish oil when it gets cold and when its kind of harsh add more food. Winter time is work time for my dogs so we change foods to accomodate their caloric needs.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to get an idea of what a good setup for the dogs will be. I found out a guy has some up in Canada and they fare well there. What is the cost of quality dog food in Alaska? This will help me decide if I'm bringing 3 or 4 hounds. Also on a last note can any breed of dog be trained for Mushing? Most of these dogs have pretty good intelegence and are very powerful although the endurance would not be the same. It would be good exercise for them though.

Default here's a link to some info

Houndsman,

http://www.mushwithpride.org/DogYardHousing.htm

You'll find the mushwithpride website a good source of info. Doesn't cover hounding, but will cover dog care in winter, food needs in cold climate etc. Depending on your own definition of "good" dog food, you could pay anywhere from 20-30 bucks a bag in Fairbanks for high quality high fat dog food, usually a 30/20 mix of protein/fat or thereabouts for working dogs. Inre training other breeds to pull, have seen plenty of other breeds learn to pull, but have not seen any hounds. Some dogs have foot problems on snowy or icy trails and have to wear booties all the time. Biggest problem we face in winter is that any dogs who don't drink will let water/juice freeze in their can, so it's not like you can keep water always available. Intelligence isn't always a good factor for mushing dogs <grin>. Our pet australian shepherd mix (who is plenty smart) thinks mushing is too much work, and runs when we get the harness out. The dogs out in the yard go berserk when it's time to go.
    Good luck,