Thread: Advise for Floating the middle Kenai

Default Advise for Floating the middle Kenai

I drifted the lower Kenai a few years ago for silvers and did well between Swiftwater and Pillars but this trip I'm planning on floating something different.

Looking at the map it looks like I could put in at Kenai Keys and take out maybe at Isaac Walton or Morgans Landing.

Anybody have any good advise?

We'll be fishing for bows and silvers.

Default Naptown rapids!!!!

Many folks float either from Skilak Lake to Bings landings (a great float by all accounts) or from The Moose River (Walton's) on down to Swiftwater or wherever ou want to take out.

Many folks do not like floating through the naptown rapids. They are about 200yds below Bings landing.

Will

You cant drift below bings landing (right under the keys) due to massive rapids.

You can shoot Naptowne but you better be pretty ****ed experienced on the oars if you're gonna do it. I generally float from Skilak to Bing's although I may start utilizing Dot's Fish Camp as a pullout. I've seen Naptowne up close from a power boat and have stroked 50 trips or more in a drift boat and wouldn't do it myself.

OK. Thanks everyone for the heads up on the rapids. We're fishing an inflatable SOTAR raft and I'm not an expert by any means so let me ask this.

Is there a way to walk your raft past the rapids from shore if you wanted to extend the lenght of our float? If it's not safe I won't do it.

It looks like its only about 6 or 8 miles from the Keyes to Bings and I was hoping to cover water than that in one day.

no way to really walk your raft past the rapids... they're kinda long with flat stretches between them, plus there's a lot of private property and heavy brush.
    the typical full day float is from lower skilak (row across the lake ~1 mile to the river) and float to bing's landing or dot's fish camp. there's lots of good fishing in this stretch for both silvers and trout.... watching the guide boats will show you where the popular holes are; good luck!

p.s. don't miss bing's landing or you'll get yourself into a lot of trouble...there has already been one drowning in those rapids this year.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.