Thread: It's not just the $$$$$

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default It's not just the $$$$$

It's the time and effort of towing,cleaning,resuppling,ect. of every trip along with holding down a job so we can afford it.I like to go out of PWS for 2-4 nights,shrimping,fishing,hunting and having fun.And as you all know we can't legally accept the kind of money it would take to really make it fair.What I'm thinking is maybe we can form a group of boaters that would like to exchange trips.What do you think?

Default It's in the regs . .

ACBMAN, we're still allowed to share expenses with anyone that comes aboard. The difference between us (private operators) and the guides/outfitters is that they charge for their time and use of the equipment (depreciation), which we can't do . . . .

SH

Default Whittier to Valdeaz

Hey SH,

Nice picture of your boat and mountains in the back ground!

We were all going to do a trip from Whittier to Valeaz and back. Anyone still wanting to do it?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

The way it was explained to me, posting an note online or anwhere else for fellow boaters to go on the boat and share costs is advertising as a transporter. This is straight from the troopers mouth. If you need crew bad enough to post a note somewhere thats fine as long as they dont as much as buy lunch or give you a single dollar. Couple grand a week in fuel is a hard pill to swallow and you have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by Snagger View Post
    The way it was explained to me, posting an note online or anwhere else for fellow boaters to go on the boat and share costs is advertising as a transporter. This is straight from the troopers mouth. If you need crew bad enough to post a note somewhere thats fine as long as they dont as much as buy lunch or give you a single dollar. Couple grand a week in fuel is a hard pill to swallow and you have my sympathies.
    I don't know about the consequences of money changing hands, but I don't believe that if a passenger brings the food or drinks to share, or maybe buys the ice for the cooler, etc, that this would be a problem. I don't know the official regulation, so this is just what I've heard.

Thumbs up Valdez trip

Someone mention the Valdez trip discussed during the winter? I am still game!

Default Legality

It is legal to share expenses. If a trip is planned and the person planning the trip provides everything such as lunch/fuel/bait/truck fuel, that is all splittable between the group. You can't charge, but splitting expenses on consumable items is legal.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    It is legal to share expenses. If a trip is planned and the person planning the trip provides everything such as lunch/fuel/bait/truck fuel, that is all splittable between the group. You can't charge, but splitting expenses on consumable items is legal.
    Chris
    Right.
    Just cant post a note (advertise) for someone to go on the boat and share expenses. For example I can legally call up my buddy and say lets go fishing this weekend, bring your brother and we can all split the costs.
    I cant put up a note on a forum or on the bulletin board at Sportsmans Warehouse saying I am going fishing this weekend, looking for someone to ride along and split fuel ect. Thats how it was explained to me by the man with the badge.