Thread: .375 Ruger Alaskan

Default .375 Ruger Alaskan

I've been thrashing around for a few weeks now deciding on what rifle to carry for protection while fly fishing in bear country in Idaho, Montana, as well as Alaska. I am no good with a handgun, so, please, let's not even go there.

I have pretty much settled on the Marlin 1895 in 45-70. I intend to purchase whatever I decide on in a few days.

However, in a reply to an email I sent Murphy, he caught my attention when he responded to the effect, "Well, if it has to be a lever action . . ." That got me to thinking and looking at the new Ruger 375.

The only real drawback for me with the 375 concerns the availability of ammo unless one handloads, which I have done, but don't, and really don't care to.

Part of owning a gun, at least for me, is simply going out and shooting it - putting rounds through it for fun and to familiarize myself with the gun.

As near as I can tell, store bought rounds for the 375 are right at $50/box (Midway). Don't mind paying for top quality loads while carrying the rifle through the woods, but that's a pretty stout hit and more than I'm willing to pay for "shooting for fun" ammo .

I might seriously consider the 375, but not if I'm stuck with having to handload or pay $50 box. One of the good points of the 45-70 is being able to run $30/box ammo through it, while utilizing Garret or other top of the line loads in the woods.

Anyone know of cheaper factory loads for the 375 Ruger? Any and all info or opinions on rifle selection are more than welcome.

Thanks

The .375 ruger is just too new.

.375 H&H is loaded by a company called "double tap" at way cheaper than normal rates.

In time I am sure people will load cheaper ammo for the ruger.

Right now I can only find Hornady ammo for the ruger.

So immediatley the .45-70 is better just from age and popularity which gives you more selection of tailored loads and better pricing.

Only time will tell if the ruger catches on in a big way and ammo is made by all ammo mfgs. which will lower prices and lead to more choices.

jedi

Default Thanks Jedi

Hornady is all I have been able to find as well. I think you are correct - the caliber is just too new for ammo makers to jump in with both feet and tool up for cartridge production in the quantity that would make it worthwhile/profitable. My guess is, that in the future they will. But, now is now.
    Thanks.

You just need to reload your own ammunition.

I would expect that come next year there will be plenty of .375 Ruger ammo. Blaser has already announced it will chamber for .375 Ruger and Hornady is expected to release other calibers based upon the cartridge at SHOT 08. I believe it will follow along the same path as WSM as far as availability is concerned.

.45-70 would be a better idea, or a .375 H&H instead of the Ruger. A good compromise would be a .338WM.

Default A few tips...

Any reason to pick up a new rifle is a good one, but....(between you'n me)....Fish Cops here are more likely to think you're using the rifle to harvest fish and have the fly rod there as a cover! I have been tempted to try my hand at rifle fishin', myself. Found that a sawed off 12 works a lot better, but don't leave much for the fryin' pan, and the shot don't get into them deep holes where the lunkers hide, so you have to be happy with brookies in the shallow stuff.
    Oh....bear protection....never mind.....
    Still, seriously, for the least problems, think shotgun, and a really compact one at that, if a handgun won't work out for you. Believe it or not, you're more likely to encounter 10 Diamondbacks for anything else you'll come across with Paws 'n Claws.
    Bring good bug dope, something with lots of DEET. Ticks can be thick AND, the West Nile is making it's way through the region again this year. Not enough birds left to keep the skeeters down. Swallows and birds in general got hammered with the flu HARD last year.
    OH>>>>.375 Ruger is on the shelf here but at $65 a box, it ain't movin'. .375 H&H is on the rack too at half the price. .45-70 is close to H&H for price.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    .45-70 would be a better idea, or a .375 H&H instead of the Ruger. A good compromise would be a .338WM.
    A .375 H&H is always a good idea.

ONE PLANET.

ONE MAN.

ONE RIFLE.

THE MAGNIFICENT .375 HOLLAND AND HOLLAND

It will drop anything roaming the earth, anywhere that it is found, anytime you want.

jedi

I know you to be correct regarding the 375 H&H being a "caliber of choice", but now we're getting into a 9 lb, long barrel, rifle. The thing that caught my eye about the 375 Ruger was the shorter barrel - the only obvious drawback for me - but not a huge one - being the bolt action in terms of speed in use - given what I intend to use it for. If I intended to handload, the 375 Ruger would certainly be a contender. As for the 375 H&H, I suppose I could find a good 375 H&H action, hang a light synthetic stock on it and cut the barrel back to 20", but that sounds like a lot of work to end up with essentially the same round as the 375 Ruger.

All things considered (rifle weight, compactness, lever action/speed of deployment, availability of ammo, bullet construction - and its intended usage) I think perhaps the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 is as good a way to go as I'm likely to find.

Jedi - Thanks for helping me explore another option - the 375 Ruger.

MD Mike

If you don't want to do your own, have you considered having a custom reloader do your reloading? If you don't get into exotic bullets I bet you can beat factory round prices pretty handily- for just about any caliber. I'd be willing to bet there's a custom loader within easy reach of you, or better yet a friend that is willing to help out. For a lot of years I loaded for friends for free- all they had to do was provide the components. I've quit that due to time constraints, but will still make time to help new reloaders buy and set up their gear, then go through their first few loading sessions. If you know what you are about you can load close to 100 rounds in an hour.

Default Really don't want to handload. . . But,

Well, I still have all my RCBS equipment packed away - for the last 10-12 years. I suppose I could get a set of dies for the 375 Ruger. But, only if the 375 Ruger was a clearly better choice than the 45-70. For my use, I'm not sure if it is.

BrownBear, what are your thoughts on the new 375 Ruger Alaskan vs the Marlin 45-70 for what I have in mind?

Thanks

for your purposes ... I would choose the Guide Gun ...

I have a GG and will be getting a 375 Alaskan when funds allow ... but ... I would definitely carry the GG for the scenario you describe ...

Quote Originally Posted by MD Mike View Post
    I know you to be correct regarding the 375 H&H being a "caliber of choice", but now we're getting into a 9 lb, long barrel, rifle. The thing that caught my eye about the 375 Ruger was the shorter barrel - the only obvious drawback for me - but not a huge one - being the bolt action in terms of speed in use - given what I intend to use it for. If I intended to handload, the 375 Ruger would certainly be a contender. As for the 375 H&H, I suppose I could find a good 375 H&H action, hang a light synthetic stock on it and cut the barrel back to 20", but that sounds like a lot of work to end up with essentially the same round as the 375 Ruger.

All things considered (rifle weight, compactness, lever action/speed of deployment, availability of ammo, bullet construction - and its intended usage) I think perhaps the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 is as good a way to go as I'm likely to find.

Jedi - Thanks for helping me explore another option - the 375 Ruger.

MD Mike
    If you can't have a lighter .375 H&H, then have a .338WM with the barrel cut down to 22" inches or so, and then load some 275-grain A-frame bullets, or even some 300-grain Woodleigh SP. That would be much cheaper than looking all over the place for .375 Ruger brass to handload.

That said, the .45-70 is already light/short/EasyToShootFast/powerful, and you can buy ammo for it off the shelves.

Default I'm glad I explored the Ruger 375 and

really appreciate the input. Ray, you summed it up pretty well in your reply. The 45-70 Marlin will be purchased this week.

As for you, Darreld, I don't know what your trade is, but if it isn't writing a column for Sports Affield (is it still published?) or a similar rag, you are missing your calling. You are knowledgeable, humorous and put words together very well.

MD Mike