Thread: Salmon, Trout, Char, Grayling

Default Salmon, Trout, Char, Grayling

I will arrive back in Anchorage on Aug. 23 from a Dutch Harbor halibut trip. I'd like to fish for as many species as possible (this will be my first trip to Alaska). I'd like to stay somewhere that's within 75 miles of at least fair fishing for most or all of the following: salmon, trout, char, grayling. I'm willing to stay somewhere that's 200-300 miles from Anchorage if that's what it takes to have a decent chance to catch all of the above-listed species. I'd also be interested in booking a guided grouse hunt (either sharptails or ruffs). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Cooper Landing sounds like the spot to me. You can catch silver salmon in the Kenai River, possibly in the Russian River, and in the saltwater in Seward. Rainbows and Char will be getting good in the Kenai River, Russian River, and Quartz Creek. If you're willing to hike a few miles, you can catch plenty of grayling in Crescent Lake. There is great ptarmagin and spruce grouse hunting around there, though I'm not sure about ruffed grouse or what guide availability is in the area. That's my idea, but I'm sure there are others out there.

Default Good place to catch multiple species.

Brian, thanks very much for the info. Definitely sounds like a good place to "combo up" on several species. I know the Kenai season for kings closes on July 31. Do you know of anywhere, salt or freshwater, that might be decent for kings around the Aug. 25? Just curious... kings are in no way a must during my trip. Thanks again, Tom

Your best shot for kings during that time would be trolling for saltwater "feeder" kings out of Homer or possibly Seward. The king runs will be done for the year, but kings have turned into a year-round fishery in the saltwater targeting the fish that are passing by and feeding, likely to spawn next year or even later.

Default Saltwater Kings

Thanks again, Brian. With the winds Dutch often has to deal with, it wouldn't be surprising if both my halibut trips (19th and 21st) get cancelled. Afterall, the guide's boat is only 31ft. If that happens, I may book a halibut trip when I get back to the mainland and book it out of where you suggested (Homer or Seward) in case the guide's willing to go after kings too.

Have you ever tried Berkley Gulp lures or cut strips for any species in Alaska? I'm bringing some squid-shaped Gulp baits with me... They're only 6" each but as is the case with any Gulp bait they REALLY put out the stink.... I'll tip my jig or bait with one (or maybe two) and see what happens.... If I can get two on my rig without affecting its presentation in the water too much, I'm pretty sure 12" x about 2" wide worth of Gulp will attract some sort of fish pretty darn quickly.