Thread: Cargo modification on a cataraft

Question Cargo modification on a cataraft

Good evening everyone.

For those of you who have a cataraft w/ cargo modification, would you kindly share how you have it set up? Pictures would be nice too.

I have Aire Leopard and am thinking of setting it up w/ a cargo mod. for a moose hunt. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

yhc

Default Cataraft Cargo Modules

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Good evening everyone.

For those of you who have a cataraft w/ cargo modification, would you kindly share how you have it set up? Pictures would be nice too.

I have Aire Leopard and am thinking of setting it up w/ a cargo mod. for a moose hunt. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

yhc
    YHC,

Lots of ways to do this. In a pinch you can cut some spruce poles in the field and rig one with those and some parachute cord or rope for suspension between the poles. Lash the poles to the front of your frame.

I'm attaching a photo of a conventional cargo module from Northwest River Supplies. There are all sorts of decking options you might try with this. The one in the photo is snow fence material, which is readily available and folds up nice and flat for flyout hunts. You must lace it on the cargo module both to keep it together and to support the weight of your game meat. It provides excellent ventilation for your meat, by the way, as does option #2, the mesh platforms sold by NRS, similar to the one shown AT THIS LINK. Note that NRS doesn't picture their cargo module netting, but if you call them they should be able to fix you up. This kind of floor folds up flattest of all and is very strong. It doesn't vent as well as snow fence, but it's really good stuff. Finally, if you're going to trailer your boat, you might look at using cedar 1x10 boards. They make a nice solid deck, but are more hassle for flyout hunts.

As I said, there are lots of ways to do this.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up Thank You

Thanks for the info and the pic, Mike. I do have NRS netting for my frame flooring but I like the snow fence option for cargo module...I will check it out.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards,

yhc

Default Where can I purchase "Snow Fence"?

Good evening.

I checked a few places in town today to look for this snow fence material. The netting material I found at hardware stores were not up to par and NRS netting at Alaska Raft & Kayak was just too expensive.

Do you have any recommendation as to where I can find this snow fence material in town?

Regards,

yhc

Default Here's a lead

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Good evening.

I checked a few places in town today to look for this snow fence material. The netting material I found at hardware stores were not up to par and NRS netting at Alaska Raft & Kayak was just too expensive.

Do you have any recommendation as to where I can find this snow fence material in town?

Regards,

yhc
    Talk with Jeff or Tracey at Alaska Raft and Kayak. They used to sell it by the foot over there. You might have to buy a whole roll. Another possibility might be Home Depot, Lowe's or perhaps AIH.

Good luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Thanks again.

Thanks Mike. I did go by Home Depot, Lowes and AIH today but none of them had strong enough material.

I will go by AK Raft and Kayak again. The man at the store I talked with today wasn't aware of any other cargo netting material other than the NRS type. Perhaps Tracy has a stash of snow fence material somewhere in the store!

Regards,

yhc