Thread: Man down update

Default Man down update

I am starting a new thread to make it easier to pass on info. First off, thanks again to everyone and their positive thoughts and prayers. thanks also for the generous offers to help.
    Rob had his right eye removed Aug. 2. He is in ANC resting. Pending no issues they will drive from ANC to FAI on Monday. I asked what we could do, which is tough for a family with any type of a crisis to answer. This is the response. (pretty amazing when you think about it)
    Their 16 year old son is driving with his little brother to FAI this evening. After he gets cleaned up, takes his little brother to the range to test out a new rifle given by his g-pa, and gets the gear and boat ready, they will head up north by themselves. Expect Sunday or Monday. Honest folks, here is a family that continues to find life to be a positive experience. Unbelievable.
    Our job? Keep an eye out for a green Chevy truck, license plate "RECURV", that will be heading to the Ivashak. The truck will be pulling a boat. Stop and say hello if you see them. I doubt that this young man will need any help, but I can bet if you are broken down, he will be there for you. Rob and Deb will be a bit more relaxed knowing good folks like you are paying attention and are willing to help.
    I hope to be up there on or about the 10th looking for sheep. I drive a burgundy F-150 SuperCrew. If you see me, come say hello.
    Greg

Default Thanks, Greg

Greg,

Thanks for the update. This is the Alaskan way. I appreciate you letting us in on this, and we will continue to pray for a speedy recovery. Rob sounds like a real trooper and though I know this will be a challenging thing to deal with, and he will have to relearn some things (especially if this was his dominant eye), he sounds up to the challenge.

I don't hunt the haul road, but if I was up there you can bet I would look them up.

Regard,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Rob's eye

He is already planning to get back in the plane and start flying again. That was one of his big worries. His left eye is dominant, so shooting should not be affected. In the big scheme of things those items may seem trivial, but everybody needs something to hang onto and focus on.
    Rob is also one of the neatest Bow Ed Instructors I know. When I partner up, I always try to get him in the classroom with me. I am looking forward to that day and hope it is sooner than later.

Thanks for the update. Wow, what a traumatic ordeal. You know, if it was severe enough for him to loose an eye he's probably very fortunate he wasn't hit in the temple or something and injured worse. My uncle Al lost an eye working in the sawmill years ago Montana. He was a very active outdoorsman, for as long as I can remember he only had one eye. It sounds like Rob is the kind of guy who will be able to continue his lifestyle. Will having only one eye go against him on his physical for flying?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I hope and wish the recovery period is a fast and painless one. I am heading to the Ivashak on the 10th and should be there, camp set-up and hunting, by the 11th. I will keep a look out for the boys (men really when you think about it), and stop in to say hello should I see them, just to make sure things are ok. I can't provide feedback on their status as I won't be returning until the 18th (unless I tag out early). Just know that should I see them, me and my hunting party will do everything we can to ensure they are safe.

Tony

Default Thanks Tony

I will pass on to the parents what you said. I will also contact AST and the Wildlife guys to give them a heads up. The boys called this evening and should be north bound Sunday morning. They will be rifle hunting just outside the corridor.
    Greg

Not a problem, we'll be on the ivashak near the echookna river. I'll have a 20' Seaark and be camped on the left bank, party of 4. Let them know this and that if they want to stop in for a warm meal or hot coffee they are more than welcome.