Thread: Seward Silvers

Default Seward Silvers

Anyone been out getting silvers in Res. Bay lately? It's that time of year and I have relatives coming up. I keep a boat over there but haven't been out since early July when they were in Pony C. I realize they move around quite a bit this time of year but just trying to get some fresh reports.

Thanks for any input.

Yup limmited out in about 2 hours a week ago.

Was at Pony last weekend, lots of pinks but Silvers were not there like before. Most others not bringing them in either. Downriggers were the only mild success.

We brought home plenty of Rock Bass and a few bright pinks we wanted to keep.

Default Seward Silvers 8/4

I was out on Saturday, and we ended the day with 5 on our boat. We tried Caines Head, the Army Docks, all around Fox Island. We finally ended up getting into them late in the day at the Iron Door, but it was pretty late in the day by then. It seemed pretty slow for everyone. We didnt get started until aroud 10am, so I suspect it was better earlier. Any pointers via PM would be appreciated. I can't really seem to get the success out of Seward I have heard of from others.

Jim

Default What Depth?

We got skunked yesterday..a couple bites in Derby Cove, but nothing landed. I don't want everyone's secret, but what depth are you guys having luck at? Where I'm from in Southeast, the silvers are shallow this time of year, but it looked like the downrigger guys out there were cranking for days to get in their gear! What gives?

Mooching with herring at depths of 40'. Limited out in 90 minutes yesterday.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

We were out on friday, ended up with 9 on the boat after we figured out where they were at. Mooching on the bottom in 60' seemed to be the ticket that day. We were on the West side of the bay.

Default Silvers -- steady action

Sunday off Bear Glacier and around Calista Point, on Thursday Calista was a good steady producer.

Caines Head, and Saturday along roadway drift near falls, Agnes Bay and inside Harris Bay all producing this silvers this weekend. Most boats (except charters) were trolling but not using down riggers. Fish were big, beautiful even though skies were gloomy with occasional fog. Seas had rollers but no chop to speak of and saw a small infaltable raft and and one overloaded small skiff as far as Calista.

There seem to be silvers just about everywhere at this point in time but it takes most of a full day to fill the boat.

Default Silvers -- steady action

Sunday off Bear Glacier and around Calista Point, on Thursday Calista was a good steady producer.

Caines Head, and Saturday along roadway drift near falls, Agnes Bay and inside Harris Bay all producing this silvers this weekend. Most boats (except charters) were trolling but not using down riggers. Fish were big, beautiful even though skies were gloomy with occasional fog. Seas had rollers but no chop to speak of and saw a small infaltable raft and and one overloaded small skiff as far as Calista.

There seem to be silvers just about everywhere at this point in time.

Default Mixed Results

We started out at Thumb Cove on Saturday morning, ended catching one, losing three, and having my son wrap a superbraid in my port prop . . . . We found them down from 40-50 ft . . .

We moved over to Caines Head and mooched everywhere from the top down to the bottom. After catching 3 quick pinks, we decided to head out to Agnes to catch rockfish.

All in all, it didn't look like many people were catching fish . . .

SH

Looks like I'm going to have to try this mooching technique. Seems too good to be true. I do like the thought of saving gas $ not trolling all day!

How do you "mooch" especially in pws

We were jigging for rockbass this past weekend with lead headed jigs. Anyway, while reeling up I watched a silver chase my lure from about 15', smack it a couple times and then hook itself. This isn't the first time its happened this year but it sure is a blast.

Typically if I were mooching for silvers I use a 2 or 3 oz banana weight followed by a hoochie and double hooks in a hooligan. Stagger everyone in the water column and see where you start hitting them.

As mentioned a bannanaweight with hoochie and some herring, or a bare buzzbomb. They hit on the drop so don't let your line go slack or you'll never feel the hit.

The ones we were catching in 60' were rocketing up to the surface so you had to reel fast to keep them from spitting the hook. Set the hook hard and crank. Don't pump the rod and let the line go slack on the drop or you'll loose the fish.

I've also taken a few while jigging a leadhead for halibut. I use an 18" leader with a stinger hook on the swivel I connect to my mainline. I put a hoochie or a small grub on the stinger hook and jig on the bottom. That stinger has accounted for scores of rockfish, some really small halibut and some silvers.