Thread: Latest on WAH regs?

Default Latest on WAH regs?

Rumor mill says that non res hunters will be limited to 1 WAH caribou in the '07 season. I guess all the bichin' and suppposed abuses in Kotz finally forced the issue?

Opinions?

Last nov. the Board of Game met in Kotz. They were considering proposals for most of western alaska, including unit 23. I'm not sure what all they did at the time, but, the new reg book for the 06-07 regulatory year says non res hunters in unit 23 can take 2 caribou. That means 2 animals total, either sex. Bull season is ooen year round for non res. I'd say your rumor is false. However, 2 is down from 5 last year.
    2 seems like enough for a guy who might have to transport meat a long ways home...........or give it away. The lower bag limit should help somewhat with the rumors of meat in trash dumpsters. Maybe it's a win-win scenario for everyone.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The Mulchatna herd went to one animal resident or nonresident during the "traditional" 06 fall hunting period. I'm not sure how a 07 rumor came about since, as Martin trapper says, the BOG meets annually to decide.

Actually Bill, the BoG only meets every 3 years, for each area. The board does meet 3 or so times a year, but each region is only open to proposals once every 3 years I think. So proposals will not be accepted for western alaska areas again, until 2008. I could be wrong and it is every 2 years, but they do not consider regs for each area annually.
    Changes can still be made by ADF&G thru emergency order, and the board will accept out of cycle proposals sometimes. Anyway...........who thinks 2 caribou isn't enough for non res hunters?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

My apologies, you are correct, from the Fish and Game website:
    The Board of Game generally meets two or three times a year, during the period November through April. Meetings vary from 10 days to 14 days. The board may also meet due to a court action, legislation or an emergency situation. Regulation changes are considered on a region-based schedule with each region being discussed on a two-year cycle.

I agree, two caribou shuld be enough for nonresidents and is even enough for me since I live in Anchorage and do not have to rely on them as a primary source of meat.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

I agree, 2 bou are plenty, probably more than is logistically feasible to handle if there is not a local source willing to accept donated meat. I will likely kill just one for this reason.

Thanks again